Electric Trials Bike

gwhy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the swing arm length and motor weight thats something for me to start thinking about. When I have decided which way Im going to go with this I will start a blog on the progress for a prototype. I already have most of the stuff to put together the power unit just got to sort out the frame side of things. I know a 93 Mont rolling chassis weights in at about 43kg which is way to heavy, I'm looking at a rolling chassis of no more than 35kg (30kg or less would be a defonate ) if I am to use an existing production bike rolling chassis.

Trials Central offers users the ability to create Blogs - accessible via the links at the top of this Forum page. It would be only fair to create your blog here given the help TC users are giving you with your project. :lol:

Trials Central offers users the ability to create Blogs - accessible via the links at the top of this Forum page. It would be only fair to create your blog here given the help TC users are giving you with your project. :lol:

The blog will on this site, wouldn't start one anywhere else. There is a lot of knowledge and riding experience to tap into on this forum that can make this happen.

I know the whole electric bike thing is probaabley were we are going, but for me a big part of the off road experience is the bikes sound. I have ridden motocross, trials and enduro all on 2 strokes and the thing that makes me grin is the sound. I have also ridden bmx upto national standard, what im think is and wondered how other people felt if the day came when we had to ride bikes with no sound, would that be the end of off road sport? for me i think it would. i think i would go back to push bikes, without the sound whats the point? Cheers Dean

I know the whole electric bike thing is probaabley were we are going, but for me a big part of the off road experience is the bikes sound. I have ridden motocross, trials and enduro all on 2 strokes and the thing that makes me grin is the sound. I have also ridden bmx upto national standard, what im think is and wondered how other people felt if the day came when we had to ride bikes with no sound, would that be the end of off road sport? for me i think it would. i think i would go back to push bikes, without the sound whats the point? Cheers Dean

I know what you mean about the sound, But as you say it is more than likely bikes will go electric. A bike with no sound will and do seem strange to ride, but do have big advantages as to where you can ride it. Dependent on what motors is used they do actually make some sound which will give you a different sort of grin ( its called the E-grin :-) ). It will be different but I think there will be a place for them.

The radiator, coolant, exhaust, carb and airbox come in at 4.5kg so that's a total of 24.5kg so I guess you need to be aiming for under 25kgs all in for the controller, motor and battery pack.

Thanks for this,

So based on this Im guessing then rolling chassis weighs in at approx 40kg. I have worked out the weight for all the electrics with enough battery capacity to give a running range of about 5 miles of EXTREME riding and it will weigh in at a little under 20kg with all wires, connectors and water proofing . This setup will make the bike perform as well as a 250/300 production gas trials bike. The problem is the cost for the amount of batterys needed to push the 40kg chassis. I would guestimate a minimum of 2 battery packs would be needed for a club trial 3 to be on the safe side and at the current cost of the battery's that I would like to use that's a cost of about

Great links, TY sir.

It amazes me that with all the custom built motorcycles some plow unheardof sums into, that we haven't seen a great electric trials bike.

From what I read, it seems the motors are not optimal as currently designed, and obviously the frames in many of these bikes are taken straight from a gas powered bike.

I dream of the day we see a very light version with purpose built components, and regenerative braking to extend the range.

God, I would kill to have a noiseless bike. I hate the sound, heat and filth of motorcycle engines. So does the general public. What's the point? Riding. Loud mechanical carbon farting has nothing to do with it.

rise.jpg

P1130657-1-1.jpg

my filthy KTM.....I suppose you love the fumes too, hehe

P1040113.jpg

Any long downhill and my motor is OFF:

IMG_1125.jpg

Edited by uhoh7

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken delivery of a motor that I im thinking of using for this project, And on the up side its more than capable as regards power/speed but the down side it runs very hot and is very current hungry which will effect riding time per charge. Also I havent heard from the guy that is making the frame for a while, we decided on the dimensions that we will use and he was fine with that ( he came down with the swine flu so this has probably slowed him up a tad ). If I don't hear anything from him for another 3-4weeks I will have a go at making the frame myself ( which should be fun for someone who cant weld ), I still have plenty to get on with but my main concern is the motor current.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to keep this thread alive I thought I will post up a very nice electric trials bike ( it was found by a friend ) built from the ground up.

I heard back from the chap whos is making the frame for me and he estimates to have it finished mid Jan, I am just tweeking the electrics and now have all the bits that I require to assemble a prototype.

moto013hx1.jpg

moto021mt4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Just to keep this thread alive I thought I will post up a very nice electric trials bike ( it was found by a friend ) built from the ground up.

I heard back from the chap whos is making the frame for me and he estimates to have it finished mid Jan, I am just tweeking the electrics and now have all the bits that I require to assemble a prototype.

moto013hx1.jpg

moto021mt4.jpg

Looks great, somebody know something more about this electric bike???

Best regards