Mota Area Fun Trials - Scottish Gate Trial Format

kjax

Hi all,

I am considering a fun trials at my place late in November or early December. Idea is to have a fun (peer scored) event run under the Scottish Gate Trial Format. (You WANT more points - not less!) Original thought was to have it during the first weekend of Dec, but that will conflict with the AMA D-14 Annual Meeting (which I need to attend) So other possible dates are as follows:

Nov 21 Sat

Nov 22 Sun

Nov 29 Sun

Dec 12 Sat

Dec 13 Sun

PLEASE CHIME IN HERE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN COMING- SO I CAN PICK THE BEST DATE FOR EVERYONE!

I realize there will be hunting and possible holiday conflicts, and as we go later in Dec. more cold weather issues.

So thats why the "pick and choose" calender here. I need to make a decision soon- so please let me know what you think.

Pretty interesting terrain, but a real bear if it's muddy. Snow and frozen could be good though?????

No money invloved - just fun- perhaps a bonfire and some eats afterwards???? Could use some help setting up more sections too.

KApropertysectionsfall2009007.jpg

log1.jpg

KApropertysectionsfall2009013.jpg

I live near Oxford, MI (north of Detroit about 1 hour)

Other TC members (outside of MOTA) are welcome...just let me know!

Ok to PM me if you prefer....

or thru my e-mail kja5705@hotmail.com

Edited by kjax

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kjax,

Sounds like fun. Maybe I can get over your place and help layout some sections. I won't be able to ride though. Dr. Perkins will be working on me again Dec. 2nd. You should also post this on motatrials.com.

Edited by JimG

Sure does sound like fun!!!!

But as usual I never know if I can make it.

the observer Posted Today, 02:00 PM

I know what a Gate Trial is, But what is a Scottish Gate Trial?

Do you have to wear a Kilt ?

Only if you have the legs for it.......

Maybe we can get Laia Sanz to ride.......... ^_^

Hi all,

Looks like the Thanksgiving holiday and deer hunting have most people bunched up in back half of November. I talked to quite a few people as well. So we are gonna shoot for Sat 12/12 with a back up date of Sunday 12/13. It may be cold, but frozen might be actually make it better. Snow could be a little tricky- but after all this is test of skill and traction????? The garage is heated, so in the tradition of motorcycles, beer and bench racing, a garage party will follow. Maybe even a bonfire??? Whatever- it's all good. Bring something to throw on the grill. (or in the microwave)

It's on! Rain, Snow or Shine. (If we have really deep snow- we may have to reconsider)

PM or e-mail me for details of my address and such.

Hey Jim, hope Doc P. will let you out to at least hobble around ....you are more than welcome, can always use help- you can drive close to a lot of the sections.

Will be messing around with sections over the next few weeks.... as always - come on over to ride if the mood strikes- bring your pruners!

Kilt's are optional, but may earn a bonus on any section that is being scored by a female.

Hi all,

Seems like (weather permitting) this will be a great time! Lots of interest. On the "Scottish" part of Gate Trial, I just adopted the title and format from the Texhoma Club in OK. Our plans are to use the Tommi Ahvala rules from the following summary- once again from our friends in Oklahoma. Oh yes, the other reason for the "Scottish" name is the fact that I am a SCOT! (my dad's name was Finis McLean Alexander...)

http://www.geocities.com/clarkp4/ScotTISH_08_flyer.pdf

Hey Deb, You can score on the uphill rock section.....

Scott, you won't have to wash the bike until spring (that's also part of the new "Scottish" rule book)

Hey Sam- bring the gang! And your warm gloves....

New challange- we need to name this thing... Any ideas????

Does anyone have any extra scorecards they can donate ? We will most likley not use a punchcard- just a simple grid that will allow us to write in the score for each section. The total number of loops will be decided at the event- based on difficulty, weather etc. All sections are close so there will be easy loops back and forth to warmth! The whole property is only 23 acres. I am working on the neighbor to see if we can ride a "killer" rock fenceline (300-400' long) - that will be a longer trail ride out and back if it happens.

Here are the rules:

Tommi Ahvala Gate Trial Rules

The following are what we in Oklahoma call the Ahvala Rules for a gate trial.

Several club gate trials have been run using this scoring method and so far everyone

prefers these rules over the gate trial rules that have been used in the past. For

more information on Two-Time World Champion Tommi Ahvala, go to supertrial.com.

Rules synopsis:

High score wins.

One rider in a section at a time and you receive 30 bonus points when your back

axle clears the entrance gate plane. So, you begin each section with 30 points.

All sections have

I don't see anything about stopping, hopping, or backing up. I assume the rules that determine what a "5" is are the same as our current rules? I can use the 50 bonus points, anyone have a kilt I could borrow? :lol:

Craig

Me thinks the rules for a "5" would be the same as we all know and understand. Stop, hop, backup (with no support other than your tires) to your hearts content! What I don't have figured out yet are the classes. I am thinking of going old school with Novice, Intermediate, Advanced and Expert only. Wait a minute...if you wear a kilt will that be an unfair advantage since your wife is scoring????

I am glad to see you considering this as it should be great fun for the club riders.

Just a couple ov thoughts for you, yet you can play as you like. The basic NATC rules would apply, as in stop and hop, yet you cannot back up as that is still an offense.

Ues of about two gates of each difficulty level per section should suffice. And even at a moderate level of difficulty for each, the total section stratagy is premier for the expert and master riders that want to try to pick up all them. Yet even a novice rider may attempt a 10 point gate in lew of trying to pick up both 5 point gates. Yet he may take only one 5 point gate to be safe. Have fun and save your bonus points!

All good! :thumbup:

Me thinks the rules for a "5" would be the same as we all know and understand. Stop, hop, backup (with no support other than your tires) to your hearts content! What I don't have figured out yet are the classes. I am thinking of going old school with Novice, Intermediate, Advanced and Expert only. Wait a minute...if you wear a kilt will that be an unfair advantage since your wife is scoring????

Oh , everyone just rides their own classes. The gate difficulty is a separate yet related thing only, and the 5-10-15 thing may still relate to novice,int, advanced in difficulty, yet mostly experts and masters would be the ones able to tie them all together. Hope that helps, as it does take a lot of thought in layout!