Mota Area Fun Trials - Scottish Gate Trial Format

kjax

Oh , everyone just rides their own classes. The gate difficulty is a separate yet related thing only, and the 5-10-15 thing may still relate to novice,int, advanced in difficulty, yet mostly experts and masters would be the ones able to tie them all together. Hope that helps, as it does take a lot of thought in layout!

Thanks Cope- Since we are complete newbies at this- input is greatly appreciated. We are gonna simplify the classes. and reduce from 7 down to 4. (Novice- Int- Advanced-Expert) One question...do you make the 15 point gates "killer" as in only the best should even try, or do we make them mid level expert difficulty?

Still sorting out the rest of it- we are actually having a few people over to ride/work on the layout of at least some of them, this Sunday11/8/09.

So anyone interested can e-mail me or call me. - or just show up if you already know where. Supposed to be perfect weather this Sunday- 60's and sun. The pond is back up- so I am gonna try to pump it down- do I need to consult with the Army Corp of Engineers for that?

Still hoping for some ideas on a name for this shindig!!!!! C'mon guys jump in . I had an idea for one. I had a guy pull up next to me recently at a traffic light when I had the Sherco in the back and he asked if that was one of those "rock hoppers". So I had the idea of the name "Scottish Rock Hopper" . Problem is there is only one real rock section on my property, hoping for the other long rock fence row- but it's not confirmed. It's really more of "Log Hopper" kinda trial. Hmmmm.... "The First Annual Scot Hop"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Cope- Since we are complete newbies at this- input is greatly appreciated. We are gonna simplify the classes. and reduce from 7 down to 4. (Novice- Int- Advanced-Expert) One question...do you make the 15 point gates "killer" as in only the best should even try, or do we make them mid level expert difficulty?

Still sorting out the rest of it- we are actually having a few people over to ride/work on the layout of at least some of them, this Sunday11/8/09.

So anyone interested can e-mail me or call me. - or just show up if you already know where. Supposed to be perfect weather this Sunday- 60's and sun. The pond is back up- so I am gonna try to pump it down- do I need to consult with the Army Corp of Engineers for that?

Still hoping for some ideas on a name for this shindig!!!!! C'mon guys jump in . I had an idea for one. I had a guy pull up next to me recently at a traffic light when I had the Sherco in the back and he asked if that was one of those "rock hoppers". So I had the idea of the name "Scottish Rock Hopper" . Problem is there is only one real rock section on my property, hoping for the other long rock fence row- but it's not confirmed. It's really more of "Log Hopper" kinda trial. Hmmmm.... "The First Annual Scot Hop"

I would not think anything would need to be "killer" but maybe something one of your "advanced riders" might well attempt. The challenge would be for your experts to get to the second 15 point gate without taking a dab(once he has done a few of the easy ones)! It is all a "tease" and a tradeoff! Some may throw caution to the wind and attempt everything, others may to conserve their entry points!

Trials is funny in a way, as I have seen many dab on the easy stuff(brain fart) yet easily ride the bigger stuff.

Everyone should be able to find their temptation and tease! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

So.... do you lot need a proper Scotsman to come over and help???

I thought I was a proper Scotsman??!!?? On second thought, unless we want to redefine the word "proper", I will take that back.

If you are offering to come- we would love to have ya! Besides I want to see how a "proper Scotsman" looks and behaves!

UPDATE! We had a nice crew over the weekend. Got 6 sections set up by Sunday pm. Should be 3 more by the time we are finished. I was gonna take some pics- forgot to do that...again. Two of the six are brand new- never ridden until yesterday. One is all logs and the other is a nice fence row with rocks set up for some great gates. The skid steer loader sure makes for great boulder placement. Paul Z got in his favorite section in the creek. It's series of up and down over the roots and the banks. Now just picture that with some ice and snow. We got a better feel for the gate concept as we laid them out and rode the sections. Some allow for scores as high as 90 points or more if a rider is good enough to come back and pick up more of the 5 & 10 point gates. Since traction could really be an issue in mid December we laid out with easier ride outs where possible. The sections have no less than 2 gates of each level of difficulty, but some have as many as 4 of the same skill level.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Sections complete- 9 total - many very cool options, this Gate Trial thing is great once you get the hang of it! They are set up to allow lower classes to still get some very decent scores, and it allows the experts to higher scores by going around for more gates by hopping. There is an easy out of most sections in case of really slippery conditions. We have had all skill levels try out various parts of the sections.

We now will have a first place award for each class- A CD of all of the pics taken by Gary Wilkerson at 4 or 5 MOTA events in the last two years. I think there is at least one or two shots of almost everyone who rides MOTA events there - kinda cool to see actually.

If someone wants to volunteer to help create the score cards, it would be appreciated. This is still a $0. fun event.

It's still based on 2" of snow or less- hopefully the weather gods will smile on us! Conditions have been perfect up until now.

FINAL UPDATE!

The "Scot Hop" Gate Trial is on! Weather forecast looks cold but dry for Sat 12/12. Original plan was to start early at 10:00am but the revised forcast calls for colder overnight temps, so we'll push back to noon to start. Will have a big bonfire (I mean big!) to stay warm. Garage is heated too. We have 8 or 9 sections planned. There will be 3 (or possibly 4) loops, depending on the weather. Most have an easy "escape route" that keeps you in the section for points but allows for options to ride numerous gates for more points. Only 4 classes (Nov-Int-Adv-Ex) Remember this is a Gate Trial- where you are looking to get as many points as possible. I have attached a list of the Gate Trial rules. Looks like we might have some people to check, but also planning on peer scoring for any sections that don't have an observer. We even have 4 first place awards! I'll have a grill to throw on whatever you bring. PM - e-mail - call for an address.

My cell # is 248-860-8832. kja5705@hotmail.com

If you get a minute, (e-mail or phone) to let me if you are coming.

Looking forward to ypu guys making the trip Sam! It looks like a pretty good turnout from the people I have heard from.

First Annual Scot Hop Gate Trial Rules

The following are what I got from the Oklahoma gang using Ahvala Rules for a gate trial.

I modified them a bit to fit our program.

Rules synopsis:

High score wins.

One rider in a section at a time and you receive 30 bonus points when your back

axle clears the entrance gate plane. So, you begin each section with 30 points.

All sections have

Well the weather turned out nice and made for a fun day of riding. Thanks Keith for the use of your land and the work you put into to it also.

Thank You to everyone else that helped make it happen also.

I think all had a great time and no one ended up face down in the river under 2" ice. Always a plus.

Thanks to Gary for coming out to take pictures also.

Great day- Lots of fun for all who showed up and also to those who helped to set up! Special thanks to Bob W. and Paul Z. Lots of others helped too - even some who didn't even come to ride on Sat!. Here a few pics- Gary W. took over 100 pics hope to have a link soon.

Summary of the top rides!

Nov 1st Jim McVicar

Int 1st Keith Dunlop

Adv 1st Kunio Watanabe

Exp 1st Scott DeBolt

Section5ScottDeBoltnailsthesnowycov.jpg

Section1DonKeenernailsit.jpg

Section5Everyonecheckingoutthelogse.jpg

Section7PaulZalacridestheExpertline.jpg

Well Dammit, that looked like it was alot of fun!!!!!

I could not make it due to working 3rd shift friday night and then remodeling a relatives house saturday from 1:30 pm until 3:30 am sunday morning. makes for long weekend.

I eagerly await the pics from Gary. Have always enjoyed the pictures that Gary has taken (just wish he could get one of me with my feet ON the pegs :D )

Edited by ZIPPY

Keith,

Thanks again for a fun day in the woods. The weather was as good as it gets in Mi in December. Your guys obviously put in a great deal of work to develop the sections and it was appreciated. Gate trials is so weird as you have to accumulate points rather than avoid them. I had 330 points for the day. I wouldn't have that many points if you total up the last 5 years!! Anyway, it was good to see everyone. Thanks again for the effort it was a blast. - Don

PS I can't wait to ride there w/o the snow and ice.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn that looked like fun. Sorry i could not attend. Apparently saving an automotive company demands more of my time then is acutally in a week these days. Snow boarding has also been the attractive second love of my life these days. I need to ride!

--Biff

Damn that looked like fun. Sorry i could not attend. Apparently saving an automotive company demands more of my time then is acutally in a week these days. Snow boarding has also been the attractive second love of my life these days. I need to ride!

--Biff

Good to hear from you, was wondering if you were still alive! Are you still the infotainment guru? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah still infotainment guru. MS SYNC is huge right now and taking up about 60 hours a week for me. I spent come quality time in the garage today with the mopeds and selling junk on craigslist. Then i looked at the gasgas and a tear rolled down my face. She needs a good solid day of hands on time. I will probably attend to her after i visit the Detroit auto show tomorrow. I think obama should make an 8th day of the week for us. Were paying enough for it mind as well get a free day. hahahahahaha.