Any Room For Another Swm Owner ?

b40rt

I've just become the owner of a rather sad and neglected TL320. (re-living my youth having last owned one in approx 1984)

First of many questions to come - can anybody tell me the correct length of the rear shocks.

Thanks

Ross

Thanks Pedronicman

It's an 1980 TL320, Black frame, Marzocchi forks, looks like it originally had a metal petrol tank as the mounts have been sawn off.

The displacement is stamped as 250, I thought all TL320's were 280cc ?

The clutch actuating arm has been lengthened and slightly fouls one of the webs in the casing. Bremmel time.

Whats the best route for the clutch cable, it was down the left (through the gusset) but in such poor condition I cant tell it this is best.

Light gear oil came out of it, I usually run 20/50, any reason why not ? I assuming that the same quantity of oil as 240cc engine.

A little water came out with the oil, apart from where the induction tract goes onto the casing, any other prime suspects for entry?

Thanks

Ross

Route the clutch cable through the gusset on the right hand side.

The clutch arm being longer was a common mod , but you can play around with different

springs, ther are about 6 different pressures available ,but i run 4 soft with 2 medium.

Any softer and the clutch will slip badly.

G/box oil is 1200ml of either 10w40 or i use EP90 which is thicker and eliminates the notchy gearbox

feel, but i change mine every 2-3 trials.

2 ways to tell what cc your engine is-

1. Take off the head and measure across the bore- if it is about 76.00mm or more then its a 276.6cc (320 but also known as a 280)

if it it is massively smaller then it could be a 240.

2. Or ring Peter Knight (Rotax Man) 01761 414106 and tell him your engine number - he should also be able to tell you

exactly when it was made.

As for the water in the engine/gbox the clutch case and also centre cases are only sealed with sealant so this may

have come away and let water in. Also check the 2 grommets on the out side of the clutch case and also the

oil filler behind the barrell .

see how you go......

• 2 weeks later...

My TL320 runs fine on 4 springs rather 6 for the clutch and yes the clutch cable entry hole does leak. My main issue with condensors failing, so interested in placing elsewhere. Anyone who's done it ?

Thanks for the info re springs, what weight do you run.

I have always moved the condensor when it needs replacing, I just run a new wire up to the coil and mount it there.

I attach the wire to the loom with self almalgamating tape (screwfix sell it).

I also discovered that water has been getting in through the cable entry point, I'm going to seal this with clear sanitary silicon.

There is a breather in the flywheel casing (or just behind it) I've always sealed this up completely, any thoughts on this ?

Ross

Thanks Wayne

I'm always concerned that they'le suck up water, will try putting on a long pipe looping up under the tank.

The Later Bultaco's had tubes on their breathers (Both Ignition side and Primary) and these were routed into the gap between the 1st two fins on the cylinder. Ending up at the back.

My Cota 330 has a breather for the transmission which was piped I seem to recall into the top frame tube.

Wayne...

Thanks Wayne

I'm always concerned that they'le suck up water, will try putting on a long pipe looping up under the tank.

Ross

I run a breather hose on the gearbox filler looped up and back down through the brake light switch

bracket on the frame - never have any problems

Like wise i run a hose from the mag breather running over the back of the engine and comes out

in front of the float bowl just above the swingarm pivot -NEVER had any problems with

water getting into the magneto-

Reply to MALC-

I run a Bultaco condensor (easier to mount as it has bracket attatched) up under the tank

near the HT coil on the frame.

Benefits- Quick and easy to change , runs cooler and you can run a second one next to it (not connected to wire)

and change the connector wire over if it goes wrong.

This was a common mod done to many Bultaco's back in the day in bigger trials like the SSDT.

Malc if you know who i am - think about it and you will! drop me an email if you need anymore info.

Ta

Thanks for the info Pedronicman,

I think the water may have got in through the clutch cable entry point.

Will definatly try the softer clutch springs as its a two hand lever just now.

Ross

Hi Ross , if you use the correct type new Venhill clutch cable it has an oring on the cable

where it fits tightly in the case along with two seperate inner and outer rubber covers

that cover this up.

Fitted correctly with a little bit of grease to help the cable loctae (without knackering the oring)

and it will never leak , only if a jetwash is pointed directly at it when not fitted properly.

Ta

• 1 year later...

When I bought this bike I thought it ran pretty well considering the cosmetic appearance, like it had been well looked after most of its life, and only recently neglected.

When I got it registered (and find out if it was stolen or not)it transpired it was already registered and for a mere £25 could get its original number.

Only really looked at the V5C properly this morning, and its only previous(listed)owner is one Harold Martin Lampkin. No doubt one of many they must have owned, but still nice to know.

Edited by B40RT

What's the go with rego bikes in the UK? Is this to ride between sections?

Do you mean road registered ?

I really only did this to check if it was listed stolen before investing time & money on it.

There are few (any?) twin shock trials in Scotland that have road work.

Ross