Skewbridge Rushden

nvf

Hi Fellas

Jason Clarke here from Rushden Park and Lakes who are the sole owners of the land some of you may frequent on your bikes. As from last week we have had no alternative but to inform the authorities about illegal activities taking place on our land and issueing section 59's of the road traffic act. You may not be aware but the damage being caused around the lakes has now gone to far and action will be taken. It would have been ok if the riders stayed out of the woods and from driving around the lakes but this is not enough for some people so you will all be penalised by this. They land being chewed up is SSSI and is tantamount to criminal damage. The police have started to hand these to some of the 4 x 4 drivers on there and if you get one and are caught again it will result in confisgation of your vehicles. I thought I would give you a heads up as I have already done on the Northants 4x4 forum.

59 Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance

(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which-

(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and

(^_^ is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public,

he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

(3) Those powers are-

(a) power, if the motor vehicle is moving, to order the person driving it to stop the vehicle;

(:thumbup: power to seize and remove the motor vehicle;

© power, for the purposes of exercising a power falling within paragraph (a) or (:wall:, to enter any premises on which he has reasonable grounds for believing the motor vehicle to be;

(d) power to use reasonable force, if necessary, in the exercise of any power conferred by any of paragraphs to (a) to ©.

(4) A constable shall not seize a motor vehicle in the exercise of the powers conferred on him by this section unless-

(a) he has warned the person appearing to him to be the person whose use falls within subsection (1) that he will seize it, if that use continues or is repeated; and

(;) it appears to him that the use has continued or been repeated after the the warning.

(5) Subsection (4) does not require a warning to be given by a constable on any occasion on which he would otherwise have the power to seize a motor vehicle under this section if-

(a) the circumstances make it impracticable for him to give the warning;

(;) the constable has already on that occasion given a warning under that subsection in respect of any use of that motor vehicle or of another motor vehicle by that person or any other person;

© the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that such a warning has been given on that occasion otherwise than by him; or

(d) the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that the person whose use of that motor vehicle on that occasion would justify the seizure is a person to whom a warning under that subsection has been given (whether or not by that constable or in respect the same vehicle or the same or a similar use) on a previous occasion in the previous twelve months.

(6) A person who fails to comply with an order under subsection (3)(a) is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

(7) Subsection (3)© does not authorise entry into a private dwelling house.

(8) The powers conferred on a constable by this section shall be exercisable only at a time when regulations under section 60 are in force.

(9) In this section-

"driving" has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52);

"motor vehicle" means any mechanically propelled vehicle, whether or not it is intended or adapted for use on roads; and

"private dwelling house" does not include any garage or other structure occupied with the dwelling house, or any land appurtenant to the dwelling house.

Please take notice of this as I don't want any of you getting in strife with the Police who are taking this very serious.

Regards

Jason

clearly this issue has been going on for too long. Jason have you talked to proper trials club people? , it could be that they would be only too pleased to help with policeing this selfish behavior by individuals who simply can't be classed as trials folk.

I live in Rushden and know the site well. To be honest it is very rare for any trials riders to use the site anymore i havent been there in at least a year and i live half a mile away. At the weekends you get upward of 50 people on motocross, field bikes, and 4x4's, all flat out in every direction possible! There is even a catering van in attendance. I know off people who have travelled upwards of 50 miles to get there.

So jason if you read this i understand where your coming from but its not trials riders that are your problem. regards Dean

Edited by deandev

I can only reinforce what Dean has written. I live in Kettering and used to live in Irthlingborough so know the site well. People who use these forums are in the main genuine Trials riders who compete in offical organised events.

I understand your concerns and appreciate you posting the warnings.

Hi Jason

I go with Deano on this one, i live just round the corner,please do not tar us with what goes on there, have you ever been to a proper organised trial, please come along Sunday have a chat with us at Duck End Cranford.The unfortunate thing is that you target this web site and trials riders,i dont know if you have posted your comments on other web sites,but then again i would not think that this type of riding you see going on have web sites.

Again We are not the root cause of what goes on!

Please Jason come and see us and you will understand and we do listen.Hope you read our comments!

HI Chaps

The reason I posted on here was because there is a post about a oing on there to practice. I just wanted to let you know in case there are any that do use the site which is being developed in the near future.

Jason

Jason,

Im surprised this hasnt happened sooner to be honest, Ive never ridden there, but during the summer i drove the car down there to have a look to see what was going on and to see if it was suitable practice ground. As i drove down the road adjacent, i was met by several motorcross bikes going absolutely flat out towards me and forcing me to move out of their way, then a few mini moto style bikes. I decided to turn around and was met by the same bikes again, this time wheelying towards me and this is all on a public road, i didnt even try to walk onto the land in question, i left thinking that it just wasnt suitable for trials, which is a slow technical sport that generally does no damage to the land.

Have you considered trying to control access to the land and earn some money from it? most genuine riders are happy to pay to carryout their hobby.

Andy.

Hi Jason,

I know Skewbridge very well, in fact just about every square inch of it, my son and I have practised and rode there just about every weekend for the last 6-7 years through summer and winter, it's not your trials riders or the motocrossers that are causing untold damage more like your 4 x 4's. it's not been so busy down there this year although Sundays do draw a crowd, most of the riders are sensible but you do get your show off's now and again but all riders are aware of it.

My son and I have had many happy hours at Skewbridge and like many others will be saddened when it has to come to an end, but thanks Jason for allowing us the use of your land.

Don't develope on it, build a track on it instead,

CHEER'S

yep last i heard it was going to be a retail village with a hotel, but its gone quiet for a while, to be honest cant see it being developed for another 10 years. apparentley you just cant have enough shops!!!!!!!!!

Another ten years....the planning permission expires in febuary......so what do you think will happen next???? I will tell you, the Ski slope is going......FACT!

Jason, planning expires Feb, the ski slope is going, the land appears to be up for sale, could you enlighten us a little as to whats intended to be developed on the site ? purely for curiosity reason's only as it's rumoured to be a nature reserve.