Montesa Future And The Ssdt

davh

Can anyone clear up what the future holds for montesa? And will Anyone offer support at future SSDT events now sandifords have no more involvement with montesa?

I am looking to get another one but not if there wont be any support at SSDT!!

Any help would be great!

As a mont rider for last three years i have grown to love the bike but now moving to Gas Gas. I know quiality aint as good etc etc but i cannot see why prices have taken the pee so much and for for what i see very little development. Also the bike needs to shed a few pounds (bit like me really)

I am glad to be honest sandifords aint the importer anymore cause when ever you called it was the most rudest, ignoramus who answred and i think this was thought by many although the mechanics gave good advice so good luck to whoever the new importer is and hope they make a success of it and the telesales lol.

Sandifords support for the Scottish Six Days is certainly not at question, they supported the event itself by sponsoring a day of the trial for several years including the year when I was secretary of the event (2002). They also provided a service facility not only for their sponsored and supported riders but the clubman both with spares and hospitality. Furthermore they were instrumental in obtaining machines for the Edinburgh Club to route-mark and back-mark the trial.

It would indeed be a pity if someone did not carry on at the SSDT and thus offer support to Montesa owner/riders where Sandifords have left off.

Big John

I for one would like to thanks Sandifords for the superb support at the 2006 and 2008 ssdt in which I rode.

I also have had superb mail order service and technical service from Sandifords over the years and wish them all the best in what ever new avenues they turn down.

They have been a cornerstone of UK trials for decades

Let me tell you a story about Sandifords, which I hope reflects the type of company they are and the type of family they are.

Back in the early 'eighties, when I worked full time at Trials and Motocross News, Jim Sandiford lent me a Montesa of the day to ride around the trial to provide first hand coverage of the event. Those were the days when the Scottish commanded 16 pages per issue and perhaps over 50 pictures.

At the back end of the week, the Montesa had been parked at the back of the Grand Hotel where I was staying, and on the Saturday morning, I went to collect it to ride it to wherever I had planned to go that day, only to find it had gone - missing, nicked, stolen, call it what you will.

I was mortified; I simply didn't know what to do. The police were the first call, but they knew nothing, and of course I had to tell Jim what had happened. Truly horrified at having to tell him that the bike had been stolen, I found Jim in the West End car park and broke the bad news to him.

"Don't worry Mike" said Jim, "it'll turn up and if it doesn't, it's only a trials bike". What a star! He knew that I was worried, and he simply put my mind at ease, for what was a major disaster to me, was but a minor irritation to him.

Thankfully, the bike did eventually turn up late the next day, for which I was eternally grateful. But I'll never forget Jim's kindness that day, and because Alwyn, Jim's wife, Caroline and Martin have always been absolutely spot on with me, those who make derogatory remarks about the Sandiford family simply do not know them.

Jim Sandiford was not called Gentleman Jim without good reason, and nothing, but nothing will ever give me cause to make criticism of them or their business.

Mike Rapley

I am glad to be honest sandifords aint the importer anymore cause when ever you called it was the most rudest, ignoramus who answred and i think this was thought by many although the mechanics gave good advice so good luck to whoever the new importer is and hope they make a success of it and the telesales lol.

Caz contacted me this morning regarding this post, not requesting that it be deleted, but to say that she was upset by it. She's obviously now replied, but I'd add that in my dealings with Sandifords, they have never been anything less than the consummate professionals.

Not only that, but Sandiford's have been a long term supporter of this site - since day one in fact, and have invested in TC over the years which has helped me greatly in keeping it free for all to access and Caz has helped me greatly with my SSDT accomodation for the past few years when I was too disorganised to sort it myself. Okay, it cost me a few glasses of wine (money well spent!), but she was happy to help and went out of her way to sort me out - something she didn't have to do. I believe the SSDT Paddock is going to be a poorer place without a Sandifords presence :icon_salut:

Thanks Guys for your words of support.. and hey RE : SSDT - we might be there yet !!! :-)

The impact of the Global recession means every business (small or large) has to reassess it's activities.

We do it coz we love it, but we do it to earn a living. We have families and we need to support the same.

However as involved as we've been for so long it still has an emotional side. (Can't help it !!).

As long as we've been in business we've learnt... You can't please all of the people all of the time, but hopefully we do please the majority !!

Thanks again,

Caroline

Let me tell you a story about Sandifords, which I hope reflects the type of company they are and the type of family they are.

Back in the Seventies, when Caroline and Martin were just babies, I was fortunate enough to live my dream and live and ride in Europe, thanks to Montesa. After a long winter in Barcelona, the Factory asked Jim Sandiford if he could give me a summer job so that I could get some experience at the Importer level. I am certain that Sandifords did not need my help, yet they gave me a job and a pay packet each week. I lived above the White Lion pub in Bury. I worked under the tutelage master mechanic Bill Brandwood, father of Geoff. Bill made sure I rarely spent time alone. He took me to the Rose and Crown, taught me to throw darts and drink Stella. Jim Sandiford took me to many trials and regardless that I was in my riding prime and he was past his I only managed to beat the old man once. Jim and Alwyn treated me like family having me over for dinner and including me always, the memories have lasted me a lifetime.

Fast forward to 2002. My rider Ryon Bell of Canada wanted to ride the SSDT and get some experience in the UK. Caroline, without hesitation made it all possible. How many families have served the trials community as long and as well as the Sandifords? How many countless riders and events have been supported, first class service to the sport for over 4 decades. I for one am very grateful to the Sandifords.

Mike and Martin:

Thanks so much for you both of your stories about Sandifords. Although I have never had the pleasure personally to meet any of them, your stories totally made me think about my time riding as a Pro rider in the US, as a Canadian and that from what I have seen, the incredible sense of family I have felt amongst the entire trials global community. This I believe is the nucleas of what our sport is about. People who have such a deep love of trials, sometimes transended through generations, such as Sandifords. The overwhelming impressions they have left on riders such as Martin, and Mike, and in my own small end of the world, me, will last a lifetime!!! This to me is why we not only need to keep our sport alive, but continue to support those who also at times, let their personal feelings help motivate business decisions about supporting trials, when surely just plain business sense would tell them its a lost cause. I am sure we all know people like this in our different countries, make sure you let them know how much you appreciate them!

steve