Frame Number M-80

myson

thanks for all your help,Iwill stamp frame in correct place,

Myson

I wouldn't do that if I were you as you have no way of knowing whether that engine is the original one for your frame. A frame with that number could be out there somewhere and if it is registered to someone else you will run into all sorts of problems when you apply for a registration number for yours. Alarm bells will go off in DVLA when it flags up that a bike already exists with that frame number. It's nearly 40 years old now and in that time you have no way of knowing what previous owners have done. Engines could have been swapped, the original chassis could have been sold as a rolling chassis and someone has it with another engine fitted now - permutations are endless.

It isn't uncommon for engine and frame numbers not to match from the factory though. I have a model 80 on which the numbers differ and it was registered that way back in 1972. Also have a model 49 and two model 92 with non-matching numbers, all registered that way.

You can check whether there is a bike already registered with that frame number by applying for an HPI check on that frame number. It will tell you if it is exists as a registered vehicle and if so, whether there is anything flagged against it, stolen, write-off etc. Or it will tell you if there is no trace - ie; there is not a vehicle registered with that frame number - even then I'd be wary about stamping it as the frame could still exist and if someone else then tries to register it in the future you could still have trouble from DVLA.

If there is definitely no number on your frame, might be worth hunting around for another one and use that as you know that the number will be correct, it may even be registered already (use HPI check if thre is no V5) - doesn't matter whether the engine/frame matches or not. John Collins or Bultaco UK have loads of used parts and you may get one from either. If you get one that is damaged beyond repair, use the number from it on yours but make sure the donor frame never leaves your posession - better still, chop it up and take it out of circulation.

Whatever you do, be very careful when stamping numbers on frames, especially if you're going to aply for a V5, if you do not know for certain the legitimacy of the number you're using.

thanks for all your help,Iwill stamp frame in correct place,

Myson

Also added to what Woody has just said , at a certain period in the early to mid 70's

Bultaco produced/ exported bikes in kit form to get around the heavy spanish export

laws/costs at that time.

They would export an engine seperately from as chassis kit in batches , so the importer

would take one engine and one chassis kit and build and sell the bike like that.

It was very common to have a new Sherpa of that time with a different engine and frame number

but not to far apart but not the same.

So no i wouldn't hurry into stamping the same number on the frame!!!