159 Clutch Push Rod. Urgent Help Needed !

steve

Hi all,

I have been helping a friend rebuild a Model 159 which was bought as a basket case.

We have a problem with the cutch at the moment. The arm will not disengage the clutch. It is as if the puch rod is too short.

I am fairly confident all the drum, hub and plates were assembled ok. We put the thrust washer in with a spot of grease so it didn't fall before all was assembled and we didn't forget the ball bearing.

Looking in the Haynes Manual there appears to be a 'clutch rod extension' It looks like a short piece of pushrod. We haven't got one!! Should we have on for this model? Where does it fit?

So at the moment we have as follows -

operating arm - pushrod - ball bearing - pushrod end piece (muschroom) - Thrust washer - adjusting screw fitted into outer pressure plate and locking nut.

Have we missed something? If so what and where does it fit?

Fast response would be appreciated.

Steve.

Edited by steve

Have you checked the flat face of the operating arm,where it pushes on the pushrod?

On one of my Bults the pushrod had worn a hole in it and would not push the assembly far enough to disengage the clutch.

I filled it up with weld and filed it flat and made sure every time I had the casing off in future it had plenty grease.

With the screw adjust right in the clutch did start to push. My friend has just stripped the clutch back apart and confirmed everything is in order that end. He has tried putting a second ball bearing in which solved the problem temporarily. I think the combination of wear on the pushrod, actuating arms etc... and the likelyhood the ball is the wrong size is the problem.

The picture of a 'clutch rod extension' in the manual is still a puzzle and possibly a red herring.

Just scanned the book - It's the no 11 ????

2009-11-1321-08-43_0001.jpg

This is the scan from the Haynes manual. Item 11 is the 'clutch rod extension' In the picture it isn't clear where it goes. Why would you do the rod in 2 sections? I think it may be a mistake.

Edited by steve

There are different length pushrods for Sherpas, 3 possibly but definitely 2 different lengths. Could be the wrong one is with the box of bits for the 159.

I had the same problem with a 92, clutch wouldn't disengage because of the wrong rod. Just bought the correct one from Bultaco UK to sort it.

Or, another possibility, the wrong clutch could be fitted as you never know what you get with a box of bits. If people have bought items from breakers to replace worn or broken components they could buy the wrong type if they don't know there are differences from model to model. The baskets or hubs (or possibly both, can't remember) differ with different length bosses. If the basket is sitting too far out, the rod won't be long enough.

I can't remember what's in the Haynes manual but I've never seen any rod extension in any Bultaco

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

• 9 years later...

Just a thought,check the ignition cover and make sure the operating arm that has the spline on it is installed correctly , it is possible to let the arm, in the case, rotate around so that it doesn't push the clutch rod in. I fixed a friends bike the other day where this had happened, he had taken the horizontal lever arm off in order to put a longer one on, to get a lighter action, and the vertical operating arm in the case had rotated out of position.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Please don’t take offence here b40rt , but Sherpa325 you can.

Did you read the heading Sherpa325?

Two things I noticed 1;  Urgent in the heading

2;  2009, The year Steve wanted the help.

I hope I never have an emergency sherpa325 and have to hang from a short rope over a deep hole waiting for you to get around to giving me some help.

just saying

cheers

brt650

• Like 1
  • Haha 1