Montesa 200 Parts

ma77

Im rebuilding/restoring a montesa 200 and can not find parts any where... where are the best places to go for parts?

after a quick glance at what i have i will be needing a engine gasket set and possibly a few small engine parts

other than that it will need all the usual service items (bearings, brakes, cables, levers, ect)

thanks for all the help

Hi

I currently own a 1981 Montesa Cota 200 & have an original sales manual. The engine exploded view does not show any head gasket present. I have never had the head off mine so none the wiser.However, it does show either a very thick base gasket or base spacer that i would be interested in determine thickness. Parts for this bike are difficult to find, the sources already mentioned other than Sandifords are the only sources that i have found. I could photocopy manual if you like & will try to Email a phone number or something.

Yes it is standard practice on some bikes to have the head sealing against the sleeve without a gasket. The sleeve usually sits proud of the top of the barrell on such bikes and there is usually a recess in the head that locates on the sleeve. The head being aluminium and the sleeve being cast iron or steel makes for an effective joint.

The 123 head has no gasket either. I have got most of the parts I needed from InMotion, BVM and Sandifords. Base gasket was listed aas NLA so I bought some gasket card and made my own, seems OK but the test will be when I fire it up again. The gearbox cover gasket might be a home made job too!

well i am rebuilding the engine at the moment and so far the only bits missing are a few washers, circlips and springs which i have found new ones

i will have to order some new oil seals and have had to weld a small amount on the gear shift shaft spring rest.

i will probably make a base and cover gaskets and use some sealer on the head so it shoud be rebuilt by monday if all goes ok

thanks for all your help and to sensi for all the info he gave me over the phone.... was a lot of help

yes i have used simpleybearings many times and although they are a little more pricey they do have the best search design and i have always found the bearing i need.

engine build has been held up a little as the clutch cover has a crack in it and our tig welder is not rigged up yet :)