Muddy Climbs

ham2

One of the many techniques that I struggle with is the muddy launch before a hill or obstacle. :P

For example:

Sometimes I put it in 1st and feed the power/grip in 'on the throttle'.Body position- down in the frame.

Sometimes I put it in second, set the revs and feed the power in using the clutch (mainly).Body position- down in the frame.

Sometimes I put it in 3rd and lean right back at WOT (burning for grip?scarey).

Occasionally;Throttle on, snapped shut and hope there's enough grip/momentum to get me up.

I seem to get very hit :( and miss :thumbup: with this next one;Any gear 1-3, clutch in, WOT, just as the revs drop feed out the clutch and pause then put a few more revs on.

A bit of theory would be a good place to start.I have Ryan Young's 1st dvd but it doesn't really provide much info.

I know it's difficult to put into print but I would appreciate your responses, has anyone got a hard and fast technique that they swear by?

Edited by HAM2

Sometimes I find it just gets down to momentum and body position to weight rear wheel , And clever use of the trottle to keep the back tire clean as practical... And no two muddy spots are ever alike , Even the same one on the next loop . I always watch the riders right before me ,and try to find a less traveled route when possible ... And I tend to use a higher gear with lower rpm's to smooth things out a little , But then again I like mud and rocks ...

Glenn

Cheers fellas,Chewy do you mean 'The Cotswold Way'?

I've got that one and he just touches on the topic briefly,mainly regarding body positioning.

I see (and hear) some of the big boys really winding the revs on yet the bike barely accelerates forward??!!

I'd love to know what they're doing.....anyone ??

Cheers fellas,Chewy do you mean 'The Cotswold Way'?

I've got that one and he just touches on the topic briefly,mainly regarding body positioning.

I see (and hear) some of the big boys really winding the revs on yet the bike barely accelerates forward??!!

I'd love to know what they're doing.....anyone ??

Ryan young explains it in the second dvd.

You pin the throttle open then the gradually let the clutch out, firstly just enough to get the wheels moving say for examples sake 5%, once moving as fast as it'll go at 5% increase to 10% and do the same again all the way upto 35-40% then let it fly.

something like that anyway.

The second ryan young vid is really good and explains it a whole lot better than me.

If you have a bike that grips........

(how come some bikes seem to grip naturally - ie grips whatever the rider does.

where as others only grip when an expert rides)

And a fresh IRC rear.....

Then select third or fourth, pin it, lean back, dump clutch.

Shut off halfway up & momentum does the rest.

And you're there......

Or go see if the snapper got your pic!

• 3 weeks later...

That ryan young dvd sounds similar to the way I try to do it. The most important thing to remember is if the back wheel is spinning it's not gripping! To take off in mud from a standstill I select 3rd, Let go of the front brake and overgrip the throttle to make sure you can comfortably wind all the way on.This is important make sure you feel it hit the stop, otherwise the revs will build and as soon as you get going they'll drop again. Look up to where you are heading. Now wind the throttle on and wait for the revs to build, once it's at full revs you need to simultaneously start to feed out the clutch, push the bike forward and sink your weight over the rear wheel. You then need to feed the clutch out over the next 5 metres or so, but keeping the wheel hooked up. If you watch the top guys they tend not to spray much mud about and really accelerate fast.

That ryan young dvd sounds similar to the way I try to do it. The most important thing to remember is if the back wheel is spinning it's not gripping! To take off in mud from a standstill I select 3rd, Let go of the front brake and overgrip the throttle to make sure you can comfortably wind all the way on.This is important make sure you feel it hit the stop, otherwise the revs will build and as soon as you get going they'll drop again. Look up to where you are heading. Now wind the throttle on and wait for the revs to build, once it's at full revs you need to simultaneously start to feed out the clutch, push the bike forward and sink your weight over the rear wheel. You then need to feed the clutch out over the next 5 metres or so, but keeping the wheel hooked up. If you watch the top guys they tend not to spray much mud about and really accelerate fast.

Great explanation,right on the money :blink:

It also helps to move your feet back a bit on the pegs, and drop your heels, and keep them down, drop it in 3rd gear, grab a handful of throttle, and let out the clutch. Speed helps, unless there are obstacles in your path that you need to slow down for.

HAM2 this is good info

but you need to get on the bike more, how you fixed over christmas ?

Only got Xmas day off (officially) but I'm trying to sort out some peg-time.....If you think I need tuition for riding in the mud , I can't see how I'm gonna manage in the snow an ice?