Muddy Climbs

ham2

My technique for riding mud is very dependant on the section obviously. Sometimes its the very gentle high-ish gear approach or the other is similar to the approaches said above. I would pull the highest gear possible, either 3rd or 4th and the trick is to get straight and rev the bike flat out and dump the clutch which will cause the bike to spin. Bodyweight needs to be low and back. When the wheel is spinning clutch the bike and it will clear the back tyre then shut off very slightly and the bike will grip due to the tyre being clear and weight being back. This is a trick that all the top guys use. Hope this helps

Good tip:

Get a good set off from the bottom slipping the clutch to start, 3rd or 4th gear flat out, keep your body very low (Nearly sat down), & positioned in the center of the bike, also try to keep the throttle at a constant speed all the way up if you shut off you will most likely lose it.

Give it a go using that technique, see how you go on.

That ryan young dvd sounds similar to the way I try to do it. The most important thing to remember is if the back wheel is spinning it's not gripping! To take off in mud from a standstill I select 3rd, Let go of the front brake and overgrip the throttle to make sure you can comfortably wind all the way on.This is important make sure you feel it hit the stop, otherwise the revs will build and as soon as you get going they'll drop again. Look up to where you are heading. Now wind the throttle on and wait for the revs to build, once it's at full revs you need to simultaneously start to feed out the clutch, push the bike forward and sink your weight over the rear wheel. You then need to feed the clutch out over the next 5 metres or so, but keeping the wheel hooked up. If you watch the top guys they tend not to spray much mud about and really accelerate fast.

Gary, I tried this out yesterday on Gerty (not known me or her for getting up muddy climbs) and the difference was incredible thanks. Wound her up full chat, fed clutch out for first 4-5 metres and kept throttle on all the way up, before I would have spun at the bottom dumping the clutch.

Gary, I tried this out yesterday on Gerty (not known me or her for getting up muddy climbs) and the difference was incredible thanks. Wound her up full chat, fed clutch out for first 4-5 metres and kept throttle on all the way up, before I would have spun at the bottom dumping the clutch.

Oddly enough this whole topic started because I was stuck in a muddy drop with a riding buddy (with a 4RT and loads more skill than me) and we couldn't get a decent launch.

So I tried the technique for the first time ever (3rd,big revs,loadsa clutch) and hooked up sweetly :biggrinsanta: ....it was pure 1st timers luck and I knew it .... no matter how many times I was asked to repeat it, I wouldn't risk going back down to get stuck again.

Edit:- I need to clarify... I'm not on about 'burning-down' for grip here.

Edited by HAM2

Ham, really worked for me on Sunday, not all climbs can be done this way though. Rod showed me and Ralph where the bunnies live another technique for hanging climbs,very,very steep with no run up about 10-15 foot high. Full chat in the bottom till the throttle hits the stop, dump the clutch imediatley then shut the throttle fully and roll up, very daunting first few goes as you think you'll throw the bike over your head but it really does work.

Edited by The Addict