Whats The Best Oil For Air Filter

myson

Hi, there seems to be many opinions on this,I am just wondering what you use. I know that I always used filter oil on my motocrossers but others used 2 stroke oil engine oil or gearbox oil.

#What do you think?

Cheers

Gearbox oil and pre-mix oil will migrate downwards through the foam over time leaving the top sections short of oil and the bottom sections sloppy. If you only use the bike the same day as oiling the foam, it probably doesn't matter if you use filter oil or premix oil in the filter because it won't have time to migrate. Before air filter oils were developed, it was common practice to oil filters with either two stroke premix oil, or 4 stroke engine oil.

Another thing some people do for events where the air filter needs to be replaced more than once during each day of an event, is to wash the filter that comes out in a strong premix ie petrol and oil mixed at say 10:1. This means they only have to own two filters per bike. You wouldn't want to have any sparks nearby while you are doing the washing and drying though.

• 11 months later...

Hi I use Rockoil bio-degradeable filter oil. When you come to clean your filter you just wash it under the tap and it washes the bio-oil and dirt its accumulated away. Alow your filter to dry and reapply more oil. No mess job done

hi where would i get the oil that you use for your oil filter? thanks bondy

Not sure if this of help now. But Have seen a demonstration of some very light filter oil called "No Toil" looks very easy to use. I know a rider that uses it in all his trial bikes & swears by it. I have found a stockist but have yet to try it myself.