Kiehn Carb And Power Reeds

1sherco1

I love the VForce reeds on my Rev3. The same cage and reeds will fit the Sherco. My '08 also has the Keihin which runs great when clean but is more sensitive to temp and humidity and tends to get dirt and moisture in the pilot circuit more then the Mikunis I've always used. Try the reeds first with your old carb before springing for the Keihin. You may find it's enough of an improvement.

Worth mentioning the difference I see with carbon the reeds is much more low end torque. The bike pulls hard off idle allowing me to feather throttle in places I couldn't before. It helps finding traction but more importantly gets me out of trouble when I do something over my head (often). The Keihin on the other hand wakes the bike up on the top end. Whack the throttle to full and it jumps like a scalded cat.

I think you'll be really pleased with the ridability of your bike with the Boyesen or VForce reeds. Keihin's kind of an aquired taste.

Edited by Dan Williams

i want more agresion though

Seriously josh, you would find a lot more power out of your bike if you changed your technique. Less of the high gears with low revs and more of the lower gears with high revs as at the top end that is where most of the power is.

If not get some reeds but my advice is not to bother with a keihin carb as they seem to be very temperamental. Only person I know to like them is Chris and I think that might be influenced by the fact that he owns his own shop.

Edited by TheShercoRider

Got the keihin on my paxau... Very nice! Got rid of the bottom end flatspot and also revs to the moon. Got the jetting right first time! Only thing thats wrong with it is the float height needs setting so it p****s fuel occasionaly, needs sorting but i'll get round to it eventually!

Going to invest in some v-force reads soon and see what difference they make.

The Keihin carb on my Paxau 290 works a treat and is reliable over 2 years regular use (twice a week). Clean it through look after the air box - no more servicing than usual.

I think it's much better at the bottom end than the standard carb which feels rough to me if I ride a bike with one nowadays, even quite new bikes.

Further up the revs - tons of go. Even further up - mad.

Float did jam once during a trial and fuel poured out I recall - wacked it professionally with a lump of wood - cured.

I've got Boysens in my 2005 290 and it really smoothed out the bottom end (Dellorto fitted),I'm no power junkie though....although saying that ,I did recently try a 2008 Cabestany rep and that was sweeeeeet!

Edited by HAM2

Mind you these kids are talking about the 125's here, and personally, I found the Boyesens to be Too soft off the bottom on my old 125! Were very gintile on the wifey, though.

They are a different animal! As they basically have no torque off the bottom, and to make real power, the bike needs to be up in the revs to pull.

Seems to me the stock setup works fairly well. Learming the bike is another thing.

Last I recall, Smage was running the V-force reeds and a 48T on the rear so he could rev the ****ofit and go in 3rd gear on big stuff.

The Kiehin is difficult to fit, and may offer a bit smoother off the bottom and a bit more on top, yet unless you can use it all, it is rather useless in my mind, and not recommended to most. Still!