Full Face Helmet For Trials

deano

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In trials I have for several years worn full face high quality downhill mountain bike helmet. I also wear chest protector(roost guard) and back guard albeit a lightweight one but it has some serious grooves from savin my skin!. I also wear knee guards and use them quite frequently! I have even been wearing a Leatt neck brace

I don't think this stuff will ever catch on in Yorkshire. :)

Just clicking on that "other" website then??? :)

Just shows the frame of mind I am in..............After a well put together post concerning his choices about protection for riding all I can think of is to make a ****ing joke. :rotfl:

Notice I neither said I disagreed with tombleds nor agreed. I am not going to promote my reckless choices, oops just did.

I personally choose to wear an NZI triflow (think that's it) helmet, gloves, trials boots, ankle braces (due to previous injury when riding in work boots), Knee brace (Doc prescribed said I had to wear it if I wanted to continue to ride and then be able to walk afterwards), Was wearing shorts for a LOOONG time, knee brace kept exhaust away from leg but recently laid bike over and burned other leg on the header pipe. Been a month now and it's just about healed up. I am seriously reconsidering the shorts idea. (Cope here's your opportunity for some razzing). It's a good thing I heal relatively quickly.

Basically wear the amount of protection that makes you comfortable. Comfortable with regards to movement, vision, AND just plain psychologically comfortable.

Yea, well, what did you expect? You knew it was coming!

On some of the rocks we ride, some protection just seems a neccessity to me.

My cheap knee caps and shin guards have saved me some major agony, as well as the elbow guards,just cheap insurace.

As far as the full face helmets go, I doubt it is a bad idea, specially for kids, yet once again one must find his own comfort level.

I try to avoid situations that may lend themselves to a good faceplant! Yet in Eric's case, it is a bit ironic, yet at the same time he put himself into that position with full knowledge of potential outcome, and when I say that, they may well be riding some really aggressive stuff, and the fine strind that divides us all is this skill thing and a certain confidance in what you are attempting.

The most difficult thing for me has been keeping myself from attempting something I might have easily done 25 years ago!

The most difficult thing for me has been keeping myself from attempting something I might have easily done 25 years ago!

Had the same thought with the 3 ladys I met friday night ....! :)

Glenn

On a Serious note , Is that simpson helmet snell/dot approved ?

Edited by axulsuv

Had the same thought with the 3 ladys I met friday night ....! :)

Glenn

On a Serious note , Is that simpson helmet snell/dot approved ?

Mine is not snell/dot approved http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-pit-warri...?productid=1968 Simpson Pit Warrior OTW Crew Helmet

that will be a problem at a NETA trials event, I did speak to someone at Simpson they would not commit either way as far as using it for trials

but if its good enough for nascar crew guys getting bounced off the cars on pit road I figure its should be good enough for me bouncing off a rock

now and then. What do you guys think?

Edited by jmurray

That pit crew helmet looks a bit odd when seen in action. The front cutout looks like it is made for yelling.

pitcrew1.jpg

From the side view the Giro Remedy looks the same as a MX helmet with the window too small and jaw protruding too far forward.

It's NASCAR,made so y'all ll can drink yer beer w/o taking off yer helmet!

As a lifelong go fast and go slow rider. I have tried numerous full coverage helmets and all that are made for off road motorcycles restrict vison. The simpson pit helmet sure looks like it may be a great improvement in that department, but the proof will be in the wearing. Personally I will stick with a traditional trials style helmet as (like Cope), as I now avoid those aggessive sections as an old guy who "ustacould" the bigger stuff. Knee protection is mandatory in my book. Elbow pads might even be an option for some. I do not wear chest protectors, kidney belt and neck braces for trials but do for my off road stuff. As a card carrying "frequent flyer" to the ortho doctor, proper protection is important. I have never had a major injury due to a trials induced injury. (major is defined as something that required treatment by a professional) I wish I could say the same for enduro side of my riding (ribs, collar bone, legs, knees, hands, kidney, and head- boy did that full coverage helmet pay off on that one!) Wait, I did actually break a rib this last summer on the Sherco- no treatment though.

As a long time rider I had a bad facial injury about 4 years ago, a couple of fractures and a lot of stiches. Not as bad as Eric's or Geoff Aaron's back in the 90's but bad enough for a long stay at the ER and the chance to see my head sliced apart by an MRI.

If I was going to ride anything I would consider agressive I would try to have more protection than the traitional open face but for now I just ride the easy stuff.

I agree that the MX helmets are more than we need but those BMX or pitcrew helmets may be an acceptable compromise.

I think at the club level there is only a very small chance of not being able to protect your face in a crash but all this rear wheel/big gaps certainly can make a face plant severe.

Like everything it just comes down to the amout of risk you are willing to take.

Mark

• 2 months later...

the reason eric orignally switched to a full face is because he drove his jaw bone thru the front of his face while also riding bicycle trials this time. but he switched a really good adjustable face gaurd full face i believe the model is the arai vxr they have dicontinued this line of helmets but the are the helmet of choice for eric storz and andrew oldar and thats enough to convince me

• 2 months later...

With a face like mine, I can't afford any more damage to the mug. I'm just at the starting stages of getting into trials, so disregard my comments if you wish. However, as a former white water kayaker, I always wore a full face kayaking helmet. Light weight, great visibility and they can take some serious knocks. Just throwing this out there as a possible option:

prod_thu_2878.jpg