Sputtering Carb?

cosmickites

took bike out for first time last night and all was great until my carb starting acting funny. at idle it felt like it was sputtering. revs seemed very unsteady. when i was riding and kind of coasting along the bike started to have kind of a mind of its own. i was able to feel the bike powering up and depowering. hope i am describing this properly.

any thoughts what i should do?

I would check fuel flow into carb.Then I would clean carb.What you describe sounds to me like either fuel starvation or muck in carb.A very small amount of water can also block jets.Clean it out with compresed air.If that doesn't clear it maybe it's a timing issue.So thats where I would look next.To me it does sound more like fuel flow or dirty carb.Also check the float bowl is doing what it should.Hope that helps

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Hope this isn't a silly question - but you could have left the choke on? I did so in a trial and it took me 3 sections to understand why the bike was revving and missing sporadically.

:)

Even the tiniest drop of water or speck of dirt can affect performance so I would hugely recommend compressed air to clean the jets and passage ways of the carb if you have not already.Obviously firstly check fuel by pulling hose from carb with fuel on,should run constantly and regularly out of hose end.Try it on reserve as well.

thanks all for your input. i raised the clip 2 notches and it fixed it.

so i am 3 from the top and bike runs great.

still cant figure out why i am getting so much atf being pushed out the overflow hose though each time i shut the bike off. i just put 3 hours on the current fluid and dumped it out and it seemed like barly 100 cc's.

strange, right?

if i put in the 380cc it just runs out the overflow after killing the engine. i drained every last drop, tilted it on clutch side wtih clutch engaged.

thoughts?