199a Drive Chain Links

tightwoods

I am the original owner and plan on getting it running again. Stock Gearing is 11T/39T. Does anybody know how many chain links were standard? I have 97 links using an offset link with two masterlinks. I don't know what was OEM. Can anybody help? Thanks.

I'm not too sure how many links but I remember on my 198B with 11/39 tooth gearing I had to use a half link as there wasn't enough adjustment on the snail cams.

The chain was either too tight or too slack without it.Meant using 2 joining links but never gave me any trouble.

I also found that with the small 39 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel,tight rocky sections could de-rail the chain easily from the rear sprocket.

I have a model 190 now and use 12/46 gearing which I find perfect,longer chain but no half links,slightly lower first gear and no de-rail problems with the larger rear sprocket.The lower gearing makes 2nd a better hill climb gear as well.

"I had to use a half link as there wasn't enough adjustment on the snail cams. The chain was either too tight or too slack without it.Meant using 2 joining links but never gave me any trouble."

Yes, that's my situation. I think I'll go with a 12/40-something to try to eliminate the half link. Thanks!