Evo Fork Spring

motofire

I would just preload the springs slightly - A few coins or washers will make a big difference to the strength of the spring

Thanks for the suggestion but that would only change pre-load. Which affects ride height and initial spring tension not spring rate.

I had to Install stiffer springs in my 290 suspension to hold up my 250lbs. I had an oppertunity to ride two stock evos back to back with mine. Adding firmer springs makes the suspension feel much plusher while adding bottoming resistance. The stock suspension feels like it has mountain bike rubber bumper springs in the suspension compared to firmer springs. What do you weigh? If you dont think you need a firmer spring for the rear you may be able to raise the fork oil level to increase the bottoming resistance without changing the speed of the compression action in the forks. A few millimeters will make a big change in Mid stroke and bottoming feel. Have you checked to see where the oil level is set now? My oil level was low on both fork legs from the manual specs.

Did the spring have a number written on the end of the sprng face? If so what was it. How long is the spring with no preload on it and how many turns of preload do you currently have dialed in now. Have you had an oppertunity to remove the fork caps and remove the spring and with the forks collapsed all the way measure from the top of the fork tube to the top of the oil to see where the oil level is currently set. If it's not set to the factory specs, reset it. 120mm spring side and 60mm non spring side 5wt oil.

These fellas made the rear spring. MCR 8106782617. They made me a front .71kg spring to match the heavy rear spring. With the .71kg i cannot dial in any preload because of where i have the rear spring preload set. I have to adjust firmess by adjusting oil height using Redline oil like water. I was able to get the suspension set to work very good but I recomend a .69kg if you weigh as much as me. If you are heavyer than me I will gladly trade you my .71kg for a .69kg as you will be very happy with my .71kg spring.

Edited by Liviob

• 3 weeks later...
These fellas made the rear spring. MCR 8106782617. They made me a front .71kg spring to match the heavy rear spring. With the .71kg i cannot dial in any preload because of where i have the rear spring preload set. I have to adjust firmess by adjusting oil height using Redline oil like water. I was able to get the suspension set to work very good but I recomend a .69kg if you weigh as much as me. If you are heavyer than me I will gladly trade you my .71kg for a .69kg as you will be very happy with my .71kg spring.

After getting the spring preload adjusting screw to stop leaking fork oil. I did more testing and have found the .71 fork spring to work very well. I now have 1.25 turns of preload dialed into the spring. Scratch the .69 for a 250lb. rider.