Mota Vintage Line In 2010?

kttwofifty

Is there any chance that a vintage line could be added in the MOTA rounds for the 2010 season? Looks like we have at least 5 twinshock/vintage bikes that I regularly see at events and this seems like enough for a class. I think that you just use the novice line and put nov or vin on the plate and score them against each other.

There was no proposal for the vintage class this year. Last year it was discussed but didn't make through. Hopefully you know that we always welcome vintage riders and there is a provision to allow any club to run a class for them. I know last year a couple of events offered the class but it was not well attended. Watch the flyers and see if some rides offer the class this year. Do you feel there would be more vintage riders if there was a class with year end awards or even a "series" that a few of the clubs put together?

Craig

Make it a twin shock rather than a vintage class and I'll try to make some of the more southern events(I've got a Fantic 240,doesn't fit into Ahrma classifications,TI events run a twinshock,aircooled drum brake vintage class)

I met Ed Logan at Dayton,OH this past year,what a character!

htrdoug Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

I met Ed Logan at Dayton,OH this past year,what a character!

I have known Ed since I was a youngen and oh yes he is definitely a character.

Edited by ZIPPY

Well since I already run against twinshocks and vintage bikes with the KT(as well as brand new bikes in novice) I think including anything with drum brakes, TS and aircooled is very fair. You have to be practical with this but ITSA and TI have the more practical, inclusive rules than AHRMA. I am saying to just group them all....rider skill and everything into 1 group. Also just use the same novice line but maybe call the class TS on # plate. Not trying to make this harder for clubs as far as section layout.

As to what might happen as far as participation goes, I think that a lot of vintage/TS riders are in the MOTA region and are just waiting for some sort of advertised overture on the part of MOTA to feel welcome. That joint TI event in V-ville was a good idea and I know that Sam has been openly trying to expand TS within the Michiana club.(Sorry Sam but you run your event before I come back North or I would be there). It seems like a win-win for MOTA and TI to run crossover events to me. It's amazing how many old trials bikes are really out there in MI,IN and OH as many of you saw at MID-O VMD in 2008. The baby-boomers are really thrilled by this old trials iron and are still able to ride it unlike MX. This might end up being your biggest class. It's all $$$$$ to MOTA no matter what they ride.

Jim G......The MOTA has last yrs schedule on it yet. Looks like the same wknd though. You will be head on with VMD if you keep the same wknd as 09 it looks like. BUMMER! I wish they would leave that VMD date alone. They are not only messing with you but also Wauseon,OH AMC meet also by changing the date so much. Your vintage /TS guys will go to VMD.

I would ride the Cota in at least one event, since I never make enough events to chase points in the SR class. I'm always in it for the fun. I think there a few more regular MOTA riders that own vintage bikes, but do not sign up with them since they would be giving up potential points toward their year end position in their regular class. Windsor had trophies for Vintage in 2009. No special line- I rode the novice line as vintage in that event. I was the only rider signed up in Vintage. I can see the need to have some split for rider ability (perhaps A/:biggrinsanta: but there I go spending more money and making it complicated. No matter what- it would be great to have more vintage bikes particpating in the MOTA series.

Jim G......The MOTA has last yrs schedule on it yet. Looks like the same wknd though. You will be head on with VMD if you keep the same wknd as 09 it looks like. BUMMER!

Yes, the MOTA website hasn't been updated yet with next years schedule, but should be fairly soon. So, keep an eye on it. Just wanted to let you know where to look for our schedule.

That date sounds good . I'll be there July17-18. The other component of all this needs to be to let riders at sign-up know that there is a T/S class at the event! I remember the first time I went to a trials. I wished someone had said to me ....." Oh I see you have a 1979 Bultaco Sherpa T."" You know we have a twinshock class for the older bikes, right?" When we see the guys that have been riding T/S bikes in other classes they could be directed to T/S instead. I don't agree that there should be an A and B line! Run them all together. It's enough work to score 1 more class, let alone 2. The winner for the year is simply the twinshock champ. If we got a lot more bikes in the future you could always make it A/B too.

There was a guy riding an old RL250 at the Oct. Whitmore lk. round that needed help and picked the wrong class to ride. I saw him out in the sections and he was really struggling....wrong class, learner, on a badly set up bike. I tried to help him and hope he comes back again. He would do much better against bikes of his era and I felt that we,as participants that know what is happening, failed him. I plan to personally talk to anyone with a T/S in 2010 and try to get this class rolling if the clubs will offer the line.

• 2 weeks later...