What Helments Are Folks Using For Trials

sdm

I know this is a loaded question but I am trying to make a decision on what to go with for a good protection helment. I currently have an older MX style full face but the visor gets in the way of looking down the trail or section so I can only see about 10 or 15 feet in front of me. Taking the visor off helps but it is heavier that the half helments and open face that I see guys using.

I tried an older style Bell RT but the design inteferes with the back of my neck and pushes the helment forward into my field of vision when standing and looking down the trail even without the visor.

The other option I am considering is the half helment with the soft sides and back like a police style. I am not opposed however to the full face style for more protection.

I guess my biggest criteria is to have good protection with the best possible forward visibility when up on the pegs.

Sam

There is no substitute for a real trials helmet for a couple of reasons. The main one being the weight of the helmet. Bouncing around for a few hours with an old MX helmet really does a number on your neck. The other critical thing I find with a good trials helmet is they don't roll down over your eyes on drop offs. Usually a benefit unless you're too scared to look. Ventilation is also better on a trials helmet, especially the newer ones. Unfortunately they are rare and it's hard to find a place to try on the different brands to get a proper fit.

I've had NZI carbons, OFFXON carbon and currently have a Shiro commander. The NZI was my favorite for fit and lightness but spooked me when I put it on and both straps ripped off in my hands. The hardware NZI uses corrodes rather badly. The OFFXON never felt right and would roll over my eyes but did its job during a backwards head smack into a log that made a very loud sound. (at least inside the helmet it seemed loud) The Shiro is heavier but cheaper and seems to stay in place better but the shell has unstuck from the styrofoam liner being held on with just a daub of hot melt glue.

Edited by Dan Williams

I have a hebo full face carbon that is lighter than my trials nzi tri-vent so if you want the extra protection you might consider it.

I thought the tri-vent helmet would be good because of the the large vent holes and while it is cool it doesn't have a removable liner and as stated in the previous post the hardware corrodes like you wouldn't believe.

I'm looking at replacing the nzi as I like to use an open face helmet on really hot days and for cutting trails. I would use the hebo full face all the time but on hot days it doesn't vent very well and I sweat a great deal. When I take it off water literally pores off of my head.

One other thing, I'm not sure where helmets are made these days but I was surprised to see that my Hebo was made in China when I thought it was supposed to be made in Spain. I bought it a few years ago and have had no quality issues with it at all (unlike the nzi).

I started using a very old trials helmet, but found myself getting a very stiff neck at the end of long rides so I got an Airoh 'rock' trials helmet, it made a huge difference in that I could look around easier while riding and it's much more comfortable, the

I run a Airoh CH3 at the moment, I've owned both the Shoei TR3 & NZI carbon. I would agree about the quality of the NZI's fittings, on mine the clasp started swelling with rust until it stopped working

If you go to your local bike shop you should be able to try a Shoei or Airoh mx helmet to work out the correct sizing & possibly order it in, the Airoh trials helmets aren't imported here so I ordered mine off BVM. Seem to remember the cost being about 86 pounds plus postage

Make sure you ask if the liner is removable as a dry helmet is always nicer to wear & should last longer

I bought this cheap helmet to try a few modifications on. I don't know if there are others like it but notice that it has an adjustable face guard. I was able to lower it enough so that I can't even see it when I ride a section. Haven't tried it in an actual Trial yet, just in practice.

Alan

MX_Helmet.jpg

Sam. Trials helmets are crazy expensive. Try this one that I use.....Z1R Metro, a scooter helmet. Light,cool looking, inexpensive(25% of the cost of the others), DOT approved, comes in a zillion colors, fits well and I personally crash tested mine in a TN ravine with no head injuries. A1R has a website. A reasonable alternative to a $300, hard to find helmet. They even come in PINK for the wife!!!

I spent 4 days in a coma after a bike crash ... Back when the Bell Moto 5 was brand new on the market ... If not for that helmet ,(which shattered into 5 peices ,but stayed attached to my head ) I would not be around today ...

Helmets ... You get what you pay for ... Whats your brain worth ?

Glenn

Ps. and remember , we tend to enjoy riding on those hard pointy things called ROCKS !

Edited by axulsuv

Axulsuv......Were you addressing my post? I couldn't disagree with you more if you were! Price has little to do with the quality of a helmet. I am not a slave to brand names, nor do I look for the most expensive one of anything! I look at the construction of the helmet,liner quality and test procedure and I do compare prices. I stand by my statement that DEDICATED trials helmets are grossly overpriced ... The A1R helmet is a great lid at a great price. Trials helmets are generally expensive because they are low volume units not because they are such great quality.

Good points guys but for me the most important thing is proper fit. I have had a hard time getting a helmet to fit my melon properly because of the shape of my head. I have tried everything from expensive to inexpensive and when I finally find something that fits I stay with it. I can put something on and in the store it feels fine for the trial fit session but later on a long ride it will create painful pressure points on my temple that becomes a real distraction. I have gone so far as to put extra foam pads in to adjust the position which is not suppose to be done but .....

Thanks for the ideas..

Sam