The Beta Clutch Fix

dan williams

• 2 months later...

I started with an 02 Beta, loved it, and am now on my fifth Beta....persevere with it....on an 02 model, considering the age, in addition to performing the clutch mod, check the clutch basket fingers for 'gauling'...it is repairable at not cost, just some extra time removing the component and dressing the fingers with a smooth file.

Edited by worldtrialchamp

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan Williams,have you read the specs for the 2014 Beta Evo 2Ts ? Interestingly enough, they have altered the gear ratio between the primary drive and clutch! The clutch now spins faster .

Edited by shyted

Yeah, I've been dropping a tooth on my countershaft sprocket since '02 which has the same effect. The gearing change shouldn't affect the clutch at all. I don't think I posted to this thread but I replaced the thicker fiber plates on my '13 with a cleaned up fiber set from the '08 and flipped the step washers around. The clutch is much less abrupt, more progressive and has less hydraulic drag. The pros like the abrupt clutch action but for a permanent novice like me the old plates, properly prepped are much better. I didn't have to leave springs off for light pull either as the stepped washers let me use all six. It's really good now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

did this on an 06 Rev3 270,

I didnt polish the fingers, and the first outing didnt show much progress but after the second outing it hasnt slipped at all. really happy i've done this.

Do we recon this issue is across all the bike makes?

• 3 weeks later...

HI Pete,

Just as a matter of course I did the tab polish to my '13 EVO 300. I didn't do the cleaning between the fiber pads as the glue used to hold the friction material was applied much better than the older plates. In other words it wasn't splashed over the whole plate nor was it so thick it filled the grooves between fiber pads. Even with cleaning the tabs the '13 clutch was too fast for me. When my hands got tired I had trouble modulating the clutch and was dropping stupid points. Near the end of the year I replaced the '13 fiber plates with a spare set of the polished and cleaned '08 plates and flipped the stepped washers/spring retainers and the '13 clutch is now much better. Easy pull even with six springs and super progressive.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1

HI Pete,

Just as a matter of course I did the tab polish to my '13 EVO 300. I didn't do the cleaning between the fiber pads as the glue used to hold the friction material was applied much better than the older plates. In other words it wasn't splashed over the whole plate nor was it so thick it filled the grooves between fiber pads. Even with cleaning the pads the '13 clutch was too fast for me. When my hands got tired I had trouble modulating the clutch and was dropping stupid points. Near the end of the year I replaced the '13 fiber plates with a spare set of the polished and cleaned '08 plates and flipped the stepped washers/spring retainers and the '13 clutch is now much better. Easy pull even with six springs and super progressive.

Hi Dan, I bought a new set of friction plates on Friday and I've spent a fair few hours filing them clean of glue between the fibre pads and filing the tabs smooth. They're looking pretty clean and ready to put in the bike removing the old ones. I'll soak them in some oil before hand as I'm not sure they should go in dry.

So are you saying that all this effort hasn't gone to waste on my 2013 bike? I will let you know how it goes once they're in and I've tested the clutch pull and grab/drag (fingers crossed)

Pete

Hi I did the "fix" to my sons Gas Gas last week, took about 2 hours of filing and scrapping. It was in a bid to ease the terrible drag.

Some of the plates had glue between the friction pads but not all of them. This was a new clutch pack a few years ago but it was fitted in a rush.

The clutch drum splines were quite grooved on some of the splines but not all, so assume the original machining wasn't that good.

We were at a trial today and the clutch has been transformed neutral can be selected easily and seems to have a better feel at the lever.

This clutch has never worked properly since we have owned it.

So yes it does work on other brands.

TLTEL

Nice to know TLTEL.

When you say there are grooves in some spots on the clutch drum do you mean the outer basket or the inner hub. If that's a stupid question I apologise as I'm not familiar with the innards of a GasGas.

I still would like to make a jig to finish the tabs for the Beta plates as I'm sure the mod doesn't hit all basket grooves equally without a lot of file, measure, file cycles but as I said originally it's still probably better than the factory finish.

Okay I bought new clutch plates and spent many hours filing in between the fibre pads and filing the tabs smooth. This afternoon I fitted the new plates and first impressions are very good, I have a lighter clutch, not too light, but a good feel. The plates don't bind like the used to and I can select neutral with no issues as well as start the engine in gear. It's a definite improvement from what I can tell, but I'm yet to take the bike out for a days trial to really test it when it's up to full operating temp.

The only thing I notice when taking the stock plates out is the first and last friction plates are different with larger fibre pads and less gap in between. The plates I put in are all identical. What's the reason for the different first and last friction plates and what if any benefit do they bring?

I will come back and write a further report once a full test has been done.

Bike: Beta Evo 250 2T 2013

Hi Dan

I mean on the inner hub, it seems that about four or five of the square splines were doing all the work so were pitted badly, this bike is a 1996 so I wouldn't expect it to be perfect.

As I said when I fitted new clutch plates it was done in a rush the day before a trial so I didn't have time to check it over.

The old plates were loosing the friction pads so obviously slipping.

Its working now anyway.

TLTEL

TLTEL,

Sweet, as long as it works. I was just curious.

Pete,

The thicker first and last plates come standard on the 2013. Beta sold them before as a special. They increase the preload on the springs by making the clutch pack a little thicker. All plates the same is a clutch pack from the previous years. The same thing I have put in my bike. I like the older pack better. It has a much more progressive take up than the new pack. I think you'll really like it unless you are an uber expert.