The Beta Clutch Fix

dan williams

On 5/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, dan williams said:

Dammit you guys! Take your time and be careful! 

I was being careful!  that chunk was already loose, and that's just were I noticed it.  I just bent it up a little to make it more obvious.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's a 21 year old clutch, so I don't mind replacing it anyway.

• 5 months later...

• 3 months later...

I did this fix on my old 2016 and it made a difference, let's say enough to make it like my 2021 Evo 200 Factory but still with some cold drag. I think @nhuskys is onto the real fix with Surflex plates and the oversized clutch cylinder (Hippel racing or otherwise).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tshock250 said:

The oversize cylinder will make any drag worse as its providing less seperation at the clutch plates.

There is less separation but I’m not sure the drag will be greatly affected as the drag seems to be a hydraulic issue rather than a partial contact issue. But I could be wrong. That’s how I learn. I’ve learned a lot.😁 

• Like 1

I should probably clarify I mean a hydraulic issue as in the clutch plates dragging around the gearbox oil like a torque converter. I know from experience the drag is much worse with colder or thicker fluid which would seem to prove the idea. Having just said that I'm wondering if there is some fluid flow trickery that could improve the situation? Hmmm, gotta think about that. I admit I've kinda moved on from the clutch thing believing Beta would have changed the design by now. Silly me.

I had a 2013 evo with clutch drag that got worse the hotter it got, cleaned the glue from the plates, switched to nano-trans no different. Only got better when i installed a whole new clutch from an old Techno engine that was lying around the garage.

• Like 1

Hello all,

New to trials and have bought myself a 2005 Rev3 250 to get into it before buying something shinier. Was in a shocking state when I first got it but didn’t pay much so who am I to complain about last owners lack of spannering! 
Clutch was non existent but put this down to the horrendous state of the gear oil (I’ll post a pic at some point of what 4 oil flushes looked like). Final fill of Putoline NT and clutch seemed great… for a bit. Finding neutral is something I’ve been doing by hand!!

Now I’ve just read all the pages of this thread and feel suitably inspired to get stuck into cleaning up a 17yr old clutch. Thanks to Dan and all contributors. 
Cheers,

Greg

17 hours ago, dan williams said:

I should probably clarify I mean a hydraulic issue as in the clutch plates dragging around the gearbox oil like a torque converter. I know from experience the drag is much worse with colder or thicker fluid which would seem to prove the idea. Having just said that I'm wondering if there is some fluid flow trickery that could improve the situation? Hmmm, gotta think about that. I admit I've kinda moved on from the clutch thing believing Beta would have changed the design by now. Silly me.

From the '22 Beta Factory Model press release

"Machined clutch discs: created specifically to maximize clutch precision and controllability in every possible situation and make even the most advanced repetitive tricks easier to manage, such as the rear wheel hops typical of today's riding style - ensuring extreme precision every time."

The new Surflex friction plates with the round buttons definitely increase flow and improved my '21 Factory.