Fat Bars

sherco25016

It is possible, on the '03 the bottom clamp is part of the casting of the top yoke.

Couple of solutions:-

[*]Universal mounts to bolt onto these to add a new set of mounts for the FatBars. Fitting these does add 3/4" to 1" of rise to the bars.

[*]New Sherco top yoke - 1999/2000 (Part number R087, Bottom Clamps R072 and Top Clamp R073)and 2007 (Part number 1398, Bottom Clamps 1396 and Top Clamp 1395) on have removable bottom clamps (99/00

Edited by rcgods

thespikeyone Posted Today, 04:29 PM

what difference does it make having fat bars instead of the 7/8 ones, apart from the cross brace??????

I honestly cannot think of one.

basically replacement bars are close to same price whether they are FAT or 7/8".......right???

Actually it does seem from most reports that the fatbars are harder to bend (or break aka renthols) than the 7/8 bars. Add the lack of crossbar for gut clearance and teeth hitting!

I think Pro-Taper sell a set that is actually a shorter bar yet with the riser adapters works out to be about the same height.

Although many like Zippy still use the crossbar as a guage, I have adapted due to year model. Makes little diffrence for average rider really. :lol:

I should probably add here that even with the crossbar, the bars really need to be rotated forward enough to allow you some room on the bike.

One simple trick to positioning is to be able to insert a long allen wrench behind the crossbar and into the front clamp bolt. That pust the bars verticle of just past. :lol:

Edited by copemech

I used the fat bars on every bike that I owned from 1999 on, they do not bend or break nearly as easily as the 7/8" bars and provide a little bit of flex taking some strain off of the wrists. (I never bent nor broke any of the fat bars, I still have a set in the attic that I used many years ago)

The older Sherco top triple clamp would receive the bolt on clamps so it was just a bolt on with the correct brackets. The newer top bracket could be machined out and modified to receive the fat bars. I have done both with good success. In my opinion it is worth the change.

Wayne

I have fat bars on my 2002 and like the little bit of flex they provide. With Protaper adapters and the Suzuki Factory/ KTM bar bend, the bar height is almost exactly the same as the originals. The big bar pad coves the adapters and total price was about $100.

I have fat bars on my 2002 and like the little bit of flex they provide. With Protaper adapters and the Suzuki Factory/ KTM bar bend, the bar height is almost exactly the same as the originals. The big bar pad coves the adapters and total price was about $100.

That's the ones! :lol: