Pinch Bolts

slapshot 3

Okay you clever people....how does this technically inept muppet get the stub of a sheared fork pinch bolt out of the fork????.... any help much appreciated :thumbup:

either that or does anyone have a spare fork leg..

Edited by Slapshot 3

I have sheared several things in my life and usually broken the easy-out as well!

So what I do is "very carefully" centre punch the remaining part of the stud (in the centre of course) and again very carefully drill very slowly with a small drill , then up the size in 1mm increments to the size just below the internal size of the thread of the bolt or stud. \usually I can then extract the remaining thread which is by then nothing more than a coil and then remove any residue with a pointed rod or something similar.

Clean up the internal thread and pop in a new bolt/stud.

Done this many times with AJS/Matchless forks where they use studs.

Hope this helps.

Big John

I have sheared several things in my life and usually broken the easy-out as well!

So what I do is "very carefully" centre punch the remaining part of the stud (in the centre of course) and again very carefully drill very slowly with a small drill , then up the size in 1mm increments to the size just below the internal size of the thread of the bolt or stud. \usually I can then extract the remaining thread which is by then nothing more than a coil and then remove any residue with a pointed rod or something similar.

Clean up the internal thread and pop in a new bolt/stud.

Done this many times with AJS/Matchless forks where they use studs.

Hope this helps.

Big John

Thanks John....I'll strip it out again take the leg down the road, assuming his lordship's vertical drill still works!!!

As discussed Wayne, it's not, its the pinch bolt on the bottom of the fork leg...could be fun!!

So you are referring to a 6mm axle pinch bolt? And you must deal with the outer pinch section before you can actually get to the remaining bit?

Was it siezed upon removal or was it still turning yet snapped upon tightening? Makes a difference.

Either way, these can be tough, yet not impossible.

So you are referring to a 6mm axle pinch bolt? And you must deal with the outer pinch section before you can actually get to the remaining bit?

Was it siezed upon removal or was it still turning yet snapped upon tightening? Makes a difference.

Either way, these can be tough, yet not impossible.

Broke on loosening mate. It's a fair way in not just the top of the bolt or anything like that.

Broke on loosening mate. It's a fair way in not just the top of the bolt or anything like that.

Yea well, not good but figured as much as these things go. Likely the threads have totally siezed. The only good thing here is that you may be able to find a 6mm shaft to find center on the remaining bolt. Needs to be near perfect center on the first drilling of about 2mm. Soak it well in penetrant.

I never take them out to catching the fine threads unless absoutely neccessary, as you need something for the ez out to grip to if you stand a chance of getting the original out. Left handed drills may help!

Next would require taking to anout 3mm-3.5 so you can get a small EZ in the hole. Working with these small holes, you need something left to work with, yet still get a bite from the tool. Not to mention you do not want to re-use an already overstressed EZ that may break. Then you are screwed. You can go to 4mm if on center. Tap the tool in initially tho break corrosion.

Lastly if you cannot get things moving gently using a heat gun that can put out, you may need to remove the lower unit and drain the oil so you can really get a lot of heat on it without burning the oil and such inside. As the ali will expand at 3 times the rate of the steel . Yet we are talking about putting a real torch to it. Yet in the end, that may be better than an entire drillout and helicoil! Just need to get it moving! :thumbup: