Fantic 200

cfraser

Hello everyone, I'm the proud new owner of a Fantic 200. I've read all the previous posts and I need help troubleshooting both the LT Stator and HT Coil. I've followed Lee's advice regarding resistance measurements. I've measured the resistance between the black earth terminal and the green trigger terminal and I have an acceptable reading of 42 Ohms. When I check the resistance of the red to black terminals I get a reading of 692 Ohms. If you are out there Lee, I could really use some help. If anyone can help me identify the problem or further troubleshoot the Stator and HT Coil, I'd be forever greatful.

All the best,

Carl

Edited by cfraser

Hi Carl, the reading of the trigger (green/black) is good. The LT coil (red/black) seams a little high. It may work though. Check all the cables and insulation. The green does operish and seems to fall of morwe than the other colours.

If you have no spark, then I suggest you first try a new ht coil as they are quite cheap and are available also in the US. The round Dansi coils are no longer available. You will need a Ducati.

This is what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FANTIC-TRIA...sQ5fAccessories

Dont buy this as the seller has the price and the date mixed up. They are available new from steve goode in the uk for about 25 pounds. Say hello to him for me

http://www.stevegoodemotorcycles.co.uk/

It will need wiring up like this

Circuit240.jpg

If after changing the coil it still doesnt spark, then it may need a new LT coil. It can be rewound by these people

http://www.uk-motoplat.com/home.html

I assume you are not getting a spark. I don't mean to insult you but have you checked the kill button? It seems to work across a pretty high voltage and may be "leaking" - I did once see someone with a problem of the wire to the kill button passing voltage through what was thought to be adequate insulation.

Lee,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, I was out on travel last week. I want to thank you for taking the time to search and find the links for me. I suspected the resistance was a bit on the high side after reading your previous discussions on this topic. I'm going to try Steve and see if he has a HT Coil available. I'll try that before moving onto the LT Coil since they are hard to find here in the States.

I do have a quick question, if the ignition stops when hot, which is most likely the problem in most cases? The HT Coil or the LT Coil?

I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my call for help. I'll tell Steve hello from you when I cal to order the HT Coil.

All the best,

Carl

I assume you are not getting a spark. I don't mean to insult you but have you checked the kill button? It seems to work across a pretty high voltage and may be "leaking" - I did once see someone with a problem of the wire to the kill button passing voltage through what was thought to be adequate insulation.

2/4,

Thanks for the reply, no, you have not insulted me in the least. The first thing I did do was to disconect the kill button. I too have had that problem with other bikes. The bike is hard starting and the previous owner stated that the bike would quit running when warm. Compression is good and the carb cleaned...the slide is not worn and jets clear. Fuel delivery is good. Just a weak spark...tried two new plugs. Push starts fine but will die when warm and start again when cold.

I did purchase the bike knowing it had the problem and did pick it up for a good price.

All the best,

Carl

Just a quick suggestion,before replacing electrical components always clean and tighten any grounds,including the mounting surfaces or the LT coil to the engine case and the cases to the frame.Even though the wiring diagram shows a ground wire from the lower unit to the HTcoil the spark plug needs to ground through the engine and frame back to the HT coil via some route.

Thanks everyone for your responses to my plea for help. I will definately take your advice and clean, check and insure all grounding points including engine to frame mounts are good. I have ordered the HT Coil from the UK. If the LT Coil is indeed the original, is it worth sending the coil to have it rewound and refurbished? Lee provided me the Link....

Does Steve G. or anyone else in the UK still have Old Stock LT Coil/stator's on hand? Does anyone have one that they would like to sell?

Sorry for all of the questions, we just don't have a good source for some of the Trials related parts here in the States.

Thanks again and all the best,

Carl

Carl ; Look at this ebay item # 110355426304 , thats not exactly what your looking for , but he's closer to you and I've seen Fantic coils lt & ht on his site before ... look at the Dansi page in his store ...!

Good luck

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

Hi Carl,

I would try Bill Pye at Frankfield Garage 01642722378, he has a huge range of spares.

Cheers Russell

Bill gets em rewound by the same guy. Sure he keeps stock and then charges for it. If he is out of stock he will send yours off anyway...douple postage and the same wait