Gas Gas Set Up For Ssdt- Newcomer

doublea

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) what cc is your Gas Gas ? I use 11 / 42 on a 280 Gas Gas and find 1st is enough for most sections, this allows a reasonable speed on the road without being to hard on your engine.

2) Ride at a speed you are comfortable, too fast and you will get tired more easily and are likely to crash. Dont spend too long looking at the sections.

3) Observing may be more strict than you are used to but the sections may also be more natural so you will not need to stop and correct as much, many of the streams (creeks) are quite wide.

4) yes you should practice no stop and get into the habit of not stopping.

5) You can buy a large tank from trialandendurodirect.com, I managed without one last year but I had a dellorto carb, if you use a keihin you may need the bigger tank. The bigger tank will allow you to get lost and still make it to the next fuel control so is less risky.

6) You must use a rear number plate again see trialandendurodirect.com

7) Scotland has varied weather, sometimes its very nice but often it is cold and wet. Bring plenty of gear and I would recommend goretex or similar clothing over your trial gear on the bad days, always carry waterproofs in your rucksack as the weather changes quickly.

Enjoy !

Many thanks Baldilocks.

Now I ride with 10/42 and I do almost all streams in 2qnd and feel very secure, specially on mud. But it is true the maximum speed in 5 gear is too slow for SSDT. I will change following your recommendation.

( just changed my long topic because no answers received and at the same time you answered my questions . Many thanks! You have a beer paid at Alex hotel , ask for DoubleA )

Find the man called Carlos Casas - he is the Spanish SSDT Ambassador! He posts on this forum as trialero13, but I just noticed he has not been here since November 2009 which is not like him. I hope all is well :o

If you find him here or on Todotrial he will make sure you are okay for the SSDT as he has many years experience of riding the SSDT and helping new Spanish riders. He can give you best advice as a new rider.

Find the man called Carlos Casas - he is the Spanish SSDT Ambassador! He posts on this forum as trialero13, but I just noticed he has not been here since November 2009 which is not like him. I hope all is well :o

If you find him here or on Todotrial he will make sure you are okay for the SSDT as he has many years experience of riding the SSDT and helping new Spanish riders. He can give you best advice as a new rider.

Just sent him an email.... hopefully he'll look in and help you out DoubleA

Thanks Donald for emaling me :)

Thanks also to Baldilock. The seven points are very useful. ;)

And of course thanks to Andy. I'm here reading every week your nice site and forums. This year despite of the crisis and the incredible expensive licence for Spanish riders ( 640 euros ), we are more than 30 coming over and riding best trial of the world...and also 11 riders on the waiting list !! Hope they get a chance and the weather will be a it better this year :o

And of course I'll help to DoubleA....Mr.Alberto Arana !! :) He rides very well "non stop" so for sure he'll enjoy the Scottish sections :thumbup:

Thanks Andy , the Spanish Ambassador Carlos Casas persuaded me to make the SSDT Entry form during the Fiesta night we had in Trial de IBIZA, last December.

Thanks Trialero 13 for persuading me !!! Hope to see you one of these week ends and ask you before SSDT , by the way i reserved in Alexandra following Sarrau recommendation.

I disagree with gearing a bike up for Scotland. You go up there to ride 180 sections & it's best that your bike is what you are used to. A difference in average speed of 45mph to 40mph on the longest road journey to Chairlift is 5 minutes. It's not difficult to make any time lost on the road by being 1/2 decent across the moors. I've only ridden a 280 Gasser in Scotland once, I used 10 - 42 gearing, it was quicker on the road than both of the bikes of the more SSDT expericenced Sherco riders I rode round with, I lost no time penalties that year through being slow on the road. As far as I'm concerned it's far easier to get into time difficullties watching your friends riding sections or say having to carry a rucksack to the end of every section. I rode a 250 Gasser with the same gearing the following year & it was slow, it also wouldn't lug a along in 5th across the moors, I was pulling 4th with plenty of revs but I still didn't get time penalties with it.

I disagree with gearing a bike up for Scotland. You go up there to ride 180 sections & it's best that your bike is what you are used to. A difference in average speed of 45mph to 40mph on the longest road journey to Chairlift is 5 minutes. It's not difficult to make any time lost on the road by being 1/2 decent across the moors.

Totally agree all I would say is that if you are considering changing the gearing do it now!! then you will be used to it before the SSDT. I have altered gearing on the 2-strokes and stuck with the same for the SSDT.

...............or buy a Mont every section in 1st and go like hell on the road :rolleyes:

...............or buy a Mont every section in 1st and go like hell on the road :rolleyes:

Having spent a lot of time with a GPS on both a 2t & a 4t bike, admittedly not in Scotland, your average speed is nominally higher but your noise is considerably higher.

I agree with sticking to stock gearing, when I rode the 125 the poor little thing couldn't pull top gear up Glen coe, or any other road work that had a steady climb in it, I just kept going at a pace the bike was happy at, it was enough to get round in time every day.

You don't have to be fast to get round in time, but you do need to keep going, it also gives you a little more time to pick your line on the moor if your not going full chat, makes me smile watching a fast kid doing flying W's into a bog :rolleyes:

I rode a 225 in Scotland last year and it was the slowest thing i've ever ridden on the road with 9/42 gearing. Over the moors though it was brilliant. Dont worry about these idiots on Monts flying passed you on the road, you will soon catch them up when they are trying to pull the big lumps out of the bogs on the moors!

I agree with sticking to stock gearing, when I rode the 125 the poor little thing couldn't pull top gear up Glen coe, or any other road work that had a steady climb in it, I just kept going at a pace the bike was happy at, it was enough to get round in time every day.

You don't have to be fast to get round in time, but you do need to keep going, it also gives you a little more time to pick your line on the moor if your not going full chat, makes me smile watching a fast kid doing flying W's into a bog :rolleyes:

I felt like I was going backwards on a 125 on the road last year, especially when a Mont overtook flat out. Coped pretty well across the moors though.

Dont worry about these idiots on Monts flying passed you on the road, you will soon catch them up when they are trying to pull the big lumps out of the bogs on the moors!

Hmmmm? Mont riders are idiots, well been called worse I suppose :rolleyes:

Ridden about everything in the SSDT and by far the easiest across the moors has been the Montesa, good suspension, 4 stroke motor that pulls and one big plus was hardly ever changing gear, on the 2 strokes you are always up and down the gearbox, its amazing what the Mont will do in 4th from slow to scary :rolleyes: