Gas Gas Set Up For Ssdt- Newcomer

doublea

1524.gif

:rolleyes:

Nah tastless, no finish, doesn't mellow on the palate, no distinctiveness...... NOW

Bunnahabain 25yo sherried style, with the soft, creamy complexity and gentle, sophisticated palate and mouthfeel that Bunnahabain lovers treasure. Gorgeous presentation as well.

....and if you have the cojones......

The X4. "The Usquebaugh-baul" - The Perilous Whisky.

A traveller to the Hebrides in 1695 wrote one of the first ever whisky tasting notes. The whisky was "Four times distilled. And by this the natives is called Usquebaugh-baul; two spoonfulls of this last liquor is a sufficient dose; and if any man exceed this, it would presently stop his breath and endanger his life."

SUBLIMINAL... I haven't dared open it's big brother yet, the X4+3......63.5% by volume!!

James May used x4 to fuel a sports car.......

Edited by Slapshot 3

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following your advice last friday changed gear from 10 to 11. After two days test some sections much better some worst . In dry stones, 1st gear (11/42) is perfect. But when stoens are humid, is is not so easy to ride with 1st gear , i like to have a little more speed to pass the stones clean. What I found is that for big stones it is much better in 2qnd (11/42) , than 2qnd (10/42). Do you find big stones in SSDT streams to ride in 2qnd? Do you have dry sections is SSDT if it does not rain ? (becasuse this year will not rain...)

At the SSDT there are a number of loose rocky climbs such as Laggan Lochs and Ben Nevis were 2nd with 11/42 is ideal based on my bike last year. For the majority of sections I found first was enough though. Better riders than me (theres plenty) can ride a lot of the sections is second with 11/42 but you can only ride at the speed your ability allows.

look in the SSDT forums on here for the videos released of last years trial. its probably worth getting a video of the trial then you can get an idea of the sections you will encounter.

:rolleyes: I think those video's lie a bit, it always looks a lot bigger or steeper when your cold p****d wet through and stood at the bottom of it.

Last thing he will be thinking about going over the moor will be the gearing, more like I wonder when the next flight to Barcelona leaves from Glasgow :rolleyes: .

Thats not bad advice. There isnt much time to take in the scenery.Ive ridden it for the last 8 years and this year is the 9th and the only time I recall looking at any scenery in detail was in 08 on thursday when the army couldnt get to the fuel stop and all the entry had to stop! My advice is to walk up the section then walk back down it on the line you are riding and keep looking back up to take in any major details of the section that you can. Keep moving and you will be fine.

SSDT is unique and as a clubman suggest you adopt tortoise and hare approach. Set out to finish each day by going steady. There are too many rocks in the sections to plan each one so ride loose and flexible and just plan for the really tricky bits.

Have finished all my 7 SSDTS spread over 20 odd years with negligible time penalties by keeping moving all day. Time in sections is a killer if you get it wrong.

Read JSTs advice - John Lampkin also has posted similar and I think there was a good article on the old SSDT site.

Make sure you understand how delay works - this makes a big difference if you play it right.

Duct Tape extensions on your front mudguard - top tip

Ride a little higher tyre pressures - makes minimal difference in the sections.

Buy riding gear that keeps you dry and not makes you look like a works rider.

Study each days route in advance so you know where you are going - I have in the past cut out the route, laminated it and stuck it on the cross brace so you can read it as you go. If in doubt check whats coming - you can go along way in the wrong direction - I believe Kinnel can confirm this.

Practice streams and loose rocks - don't worry about no stop as stopping and hopping is the wrong style anyway for Scotland. Keep it flowing!!!

PS

Enjoy it and also look at the scenery - superb in places

Thanks Jimmil, I will try to keep flowing but after a hard day you may loose flowing, is there any massage service after the Trial?

Do we have information about each day route? First year = study much more the route

Happy 50th anniversary :o

Thanks Ishy ,

hope we the people of the Forum , see each other and have the opportunity to taste these marvellous Whiskies recommended by Andy and Slapshot ,The Macallan, Bunnahabain and X4

By the way , is there any event organized last night after the Trial like an awards / dinner event?

I am really worried with the tubeless tires in case of a puncture or something worst , in Spanish "destalonar" (when the tire is not in contact with the rim). How do you solution this problem? It is a pity see you out of SSDT in case of such a probable situation...

I am really worried with the tubeless tires in case of a puncture or something worst , in Spanish "destalonar" (when the tire is not in contact with the rim). How do you solution this problem? It is a pity see you out of SSDT in case of such a probable situation...

you nead these http://www.trialsbits.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id=1364

and http://www.trialsbits.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id=1364

or similar.

Thanks B4ORT , After repairing a Tubeless tyre with these repair strips , What is the best system to inflate the tyre if the tyre is out of the rim?

It happened to me last Saturday , I was alone training in a stream late evening , the tyre went out of the rim , and had to go down the stream one hour pushing over the rocks (the rim did't touch the tyre so no traction) another hour pushing on the path. I reached home dark night (good training ) , i wonder if this situation happens to us in SSDT we have the risk to be in the middle of the highlands dark night, and raining...

The key with keeping the tyre on the rim is to repair the puncture as soon as you notice the tyre running flat. Never keep going on a flat or it will come off the rim.

A lot of riders run with dunlops on the rear as they are a very tight fit and don't come off the rim like michelin do.

Keep a pack of dog turds with you and some gas bottles are handy. Always have a pump and keep a bit more air in your tyres than you would in regular trials.

At the SSDT there are a number of loose rocky climbs such as Laggan Lochs and Ben Nevis were 2nd with 11/42 is ideal based on my bike last year. For the majority of sections I found first was enough though. Better riders than me (theres plenty) can ride a lot of the sections is second with 11/42 but you can only ride at the speed your ability allows.

look in the SSDT forums on here for the videos released of last years trial. its probably worth getting a video of the trial then you can get an idea of the sections you will encounter.

This week end entered in a Grip Crisis . Is Grip a priority when thinking in SSDT?

Trained all week end on wet conditions and my Raga 2009 - 300 cc - Keilin carb ( i thought was 280,... but not) which is wonderful in dry stones, has no grip in humid stones and mud. After 20 months riding with this bike may be the shock absorver is working bad, or the carburator is out of control , i don't know but , no Grip at all in my typical sections than use to clean easily with a Sherco 06.

(10/42)

I am thinking to change the bike for SSDT , Grip is important in SSDT . My level as a rider should be around the number 100 in SSDT . Do you think i have to follow with GAS GAS? Do you recommend any special set up to improve Grip in a new Gas Gas? much better 250 cc Pro than 280 Raga for SSDT ? What about the new Sherco , is people happy with the Grip? Montesa ins nice with Grip but in dry conditions in Spain and big steps & stones is not so nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Double A

You dont have to ride a gas gas and yes grip is important in ssdt. Many of the sections require just the correct amount of speed and dont require a lot of power ( why have i got a 280 Gas Gas again ??), if your speed is right you go over the holes rather than in to them, if your too fast you keep having to pull the clutch and apply the brakes which doesnt work very well on loose rocks. Try and practice riding without the clutch or using less clutch.

To make your bike grip better you could try a thicker base gasket, a flywheel weight or a slow throttle (black tube domino). The slow throttle is the easiest to fit and makes a lot of difference.

if you can afford to I would buy a new bike, its a long way to travel so you dont want to have to retire. If you bring your current bike you need to prepare it well. Be aware that your bike is going to do between 400 and 500 miles over the six days so you need new wheel bearings, disc pads, chain, sprockets, tyres etc and your engine needs to be in good condition.

keep the questions coming and I'll try and reply faster next time !