Montesa 349

trials09

Hello All

I have just pruchased a 349 82-83 model. Silver frame and Forks, Red plastic tank and white aftermarket guards.

It needs the uasual things to get it running. The rear muffler is not correct. Does anyone know where I could get one, it's the rectangular type. I have spoted a 348 but not a 349.

I really need help with the Timing measurement in mm, I guessed it at 2.5 BTDC but have no idea.

Also what oils are used in the clutch and gear box and quantity please.

Regards

Trials09

Sounds like you have a Cota 350, last version of the 349.

They were called Cota 349/4, silver/grey frame grey guuards, red tank. Then they were called Cota 350, same bike but with red guards and forks. This is also the bike that was rebranded as the MH349 so there are 3 versions of the same model, just different colours. This is the 350 model :-

http://www.ataq.qc.ca/galerie/showimg.php?...1983cota350.jpg

The big giveaway of this model over the earlier 349 is the kicked up end to the swingarm and the exhaust that comes out round the frame .

Timing is personal preference really but 2.5mm BTDC is fine.

Oil quantities I'm not sure of for this bike but someone will have them.

Good bike, hell of a strong motor.

Thankyou for the information. I was not sure of the model. Things are a bit sketchy with Montesa. I am trying to locate a manual which is not easy.

I will try that timing mark and see how the bike performs. I am currently fitting a new condenser up under the tank the one is shorting out.

Many Thanks

trials09

If you PM me an email address, I'll send you a pdf of the Manual for the 349. I have a 349/4 and as the others have stated, the 349/4, MH349 and 350 are the same motors.

The Manual is in Spanish however.

Here are the lubrication amounts:

Gearbox 300cc of SAE 90

Clutch 300cc SAE 10W30

All the best,

Carl

Edited by cfraser

Hi Carl

Thanks for the manual and other info Carl.

Is the gearbox oil Hypiod or standard 90w.

Regards

Trials09

EDIT------Non-Hypoid

The Manual calls for straight SAE 90wt. I've known others who run ATF as well as anything else you can imagine without adverse affects. I run an after market (MAXIMA) light weight 75wt motorcycle transmission oil designed for wet clutches for both trans and clutch and have done so for years. I normally don't get the sticky clutch problems unless of course the basket is notched.

I sent you the Manual a few minutes ago Jamie. Please let me know if you receive it.

All the best,

Carl

Edited by cfraser

Don't use hypoid oil in or near any wet clutch system as it causes the clutch to slip

Feetupfun is 100% correct. Jamie, your Monty does have a seperate gearbox and does not share the oil with the clutch as you know. There is no need to run a hypoid type of oil since you are not running beveled gearing under extreeme pressure. The additives in a hypoid oil will cause the clutch to slip.

All the best,

Carl

Edited by cfraser