Lower Foot Rests?

superhondaman

Having seen a couple of 125's in local trials I was tempted but the little factor of money - not being able to justify a 'new' trials bike to go along with my other road, scrambles and classic bikes and more importantly space came to mind

I felt from the way the 125's were being ridden they could do with a little more 'go' and really did not fancy a 'wee engined bike'.

I was not really looking for a change - my TLR250 was more than enough bike for me but a conversation with a man I knew put me on to thie monoshock bike and the seed was sown in my mind.

I would have liked to build a 'special' - a 4st jap motor in a modern monoshock frame (still would!) - this has been in the back of my mind for a long time - perhaps I will do yet but at the moment I am delighted with what I have - I still have my twinshock bike for ts trials and for a bit of variety. As for being competetive I dont really care - its all a bit of fun to me on a Sunday afternoon in the winter.

There is one thing though - its highly unlikely another bike the same will turn up at a local even - pity then we could compare notes!

It was my understanding that Gollner made these bikes as a cost effective and available alternative to the RTL 250.

It was a 250 owned by one of the members at the Earl Shilton Trials Club.He is thinking of converting it back to a twin shock! after riding it i don't blame him!.

Interested to hear what you thought was wrong with the bike - was the rear shock worn out perhaps?

After re-building my Gollner TLR the 3 other guys who have ridden it (modern bike riders & one P65/modern bike riders) all were very complimentary - without heavy handed persuasion I hasten to add!

I know its not going to be competetive in a modern bike trial but then neither am I. Its going to be more competetive than my twinshock in the same trial - I hope ! but you have sown seeds of doubt in my mind!!!

Maybe the shock was past its best, it didn't feel it but the two main things were 1; it feelt hard to steer, as though you had to force it to go where you wanted it to. 2; If you rode the same rock step or large tree root on the two bikes the golner transmited far more of the initial hit than my TLR also to lift the front up to a step was more effort and the rear end went down far more than the TLR, as i said maybe the shock was past its best, but the whole bike felt bigger and heavier. Must say though my TLR is a sweet one!

1; it feelt hard to steer, as though you had to force it to go where you wanted it to. 2; If you rode the same rock step or large tree root on the two bikes the golner transmited far more of the initial hit than my TLR also to lift the front up to a step was more effort and the rear end went down far more than the TLR, as i said maybe the shock was past its best, but the whole bike felt bigger and heavier. Must say though my TLR is a sweet one!

Interesting comments - I certainly noticed a difference in handling over the same 'sections' although it was not a back to back comparisson. I will need to take both bikes to the track together for that - which I will do come time.I have only had 4-5hours running on the Gollner, some of that setting up bike.

My twinshock TLR is not the bonniest of bikes to look at but mechanically is 100% with a particularly strong pick-up at low-mid range. By comparisson the Gollner is smoother (freshly re-built motor).

a The bike does seems quite big - this may be due to the layout of tank/seat unit and rear mudguard.

b It feels lighter than my twinshock bike - direct comparisson in garage.

c It is harder to lift the front-end - whether this is engine related or rear-suspension related is difficult to assess - I suspect engine.

d There appears to be more grip than the twinshock bike - perhaps this is because the Gollner is allowing me to use higher gears than on the twinshock for the same section (suspension or engine or combination?).

e There appears to be more rear wheel travel than the std TLR250 (with Falcon shocks fitted).

I reserve the right to change my opinion after I have entered my first trial on this bike!!!

If your friend has any literature or info on the monoshock bikes I would be interested in seeing a copy (happy to pay costs)

• 13 years later...
On 12/29/2004 at 4:20 PM, the artist formerly known as ish said:

Did mine on the RTL well worth doing.

Marky won't your hand get tired :wacko:

Hi

Just reading through some old posts on foot rest modification, I have a TLM and want to do the mod also what dimensions did you move it back? and down?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I would very much like to lower the foot rests on my TLR (Reflex in the USA). As I recall, a bolt-on kit was available from one of the GB based trials suppliers. I can't find any such listing right now. Do any of you guys have a link, or do you know if this kit is no longer available? Alternatively, some brief instructions...a pattern for the mounting location..a video or really anything that I could take to a welder here in New Mexico would be really useful. Pictures? 

Any help would be appreciated. I just don't have the resources here in the USA to get these modifications done in a professional manner...Thanks in advance...

Mike

6 hours ago, mmmexico said:

I would very much like to lower the foot rests on my TLR (Reflex in the USA). As I recall, a bolt-on kit was available from one of the GB based trials suppliers. I can't find any such listing right now. Do any of you guys have a link, or do you know if this kit is no longer available? Alternatively, some brief instructions...a pattern for the mounting location..a video or really anything that I could take to a welder here in New Mexico would be really useful. Pictures? 

Any help would be appreciated. I just don't have the resources here in the USA to get these modifications done in a professional manner...Thanks in advance...

Mike

https://www.tyoffroad.co.uk/store/p40/TEMPORARILY_OUT_OF_STOCK.__FOOTREST_LOWERING_KIT_(BOLT-ON)_TO_FIT_HONDA_TLR200._(REF.H025).html