Lower Foot Rests?

superhondaman

Rode a Golner TLR today which had the footrests lowerd to almost level with the sump plate, did not really like the bike compared to mine but felt very nice in the footrest area, You were very much in the bike and not on top of it, hope you get the jist of what i mean!. Any way any feed back on this?

It's fair to say I think that most 80s bikes have footrests much higher than todays bikes. As you have said, lowering them, as well as moving them rearwards slightly, gives you a riding position of standing in the bike, not on top of it and bent over the bars. Not only does this give a feeling of greater stability and enable you to balance better, it also shifts rider weight back a bit putting more weight over the rear wheel.

It's definitely a worthwhile mod, especially for taller riders when rebuilding an old bike - I've done it on my Ossas and Majesty. Went a bit too far on the Majesty and had to move them forwards again a tad as the front wheel wouldn't stay on the ground.

Problem is it means welding on new mounts and if the bike has been rebuilt, as yours has, it is going to mess up the frame.

Rode a Golner TLR toda

Was it a 200 or 250? It was a 250

Who had the bike? One of our members, at the Earl Shilton Trials Club

It was a 250 owned by one of the members at the Earl Shilton Trials Club.He is thinking of converting it back to a twin shock! after riding it i don't blame him!.

As Woody says you would have to weld on new mounts, but at the same time would be able to fit wider modern rests. I would suggest a pair of Control footrests, which come with mounts, springs, and bolts. This would be a major improvement over the very narrow std Honda rests, which are not that fantastic for serious competition work.

This is an excellent mod for any older bike, but dont move back more than about 12mm, as if you fit wider rests, this will be the same as taking the std ones back 25mm.

Already replaced standerd footrests, ones from hondas trail bikes, go straight on, XL 250 i think. About

It was a 250 owned by one of the members at the Earl Shilton Trials Club.He is thinking of converting it back to a twin shock! after riding it i don't blame him!.

Interested to hear what you thought was wrong with the bike - was the rear shock worn out perhaps?

After re-building my Gollner TLR the 3 other guys who have ridden it (modern bike riders & one P65/modern bike riders) all were very complimentary - without heavy handed persuasion I hasten to add!

I know its not going to be competetive in a modern bike trial but then neither am I. Its going to be more competetive than my twinshock in the same trial - I hope ! but you have sown seeds of doubt in my mind!!!

The reason I bought a Gollner Mono was that I wanted a fourstroke and this is something completely different.

To me this is the only cost effective 4 stroke monoshok bike there is. The new Honda is far too expensive to throw down a rocky burn, the Scorpa is a bit too small at 125 (or expensive at 175!).

If I thought there was any chance of me being up there with the top guys in my class i might have bought a modern bike eg Beta or (Mont.) Honda 2 stroke.

As my previous post said - I am not going to be competetive mainly both due to lack of skill and there is such a wide range in talent in the novice group at the trials I frequent. I was usually towards the bottom end of the pile on my twinshock TLR (often the only twinshock competing!) but not too far off my mates on modern bikes. Perhaps this new bike will help - perhaps not!

To me it would be a shame to modify the bike back to twinshock, but since I have one of those as well I may be biased.

If anyone does modify their bike back plese send me the shock etc as a spare !

I presume you've not been on the 125 Scorpa then? if you ride the novice route it's a really great bike....try one one day I'm sure it will impress.

Will run rings round a Honda 4/stroke (T/S or RTL)...and so it should in this day and age...and for the cost effective thing, well we all know how much money the Hondas sell for.

I've mentioned it before, but my local dealer has a nice RLT mono for sale (pink in colour :wacko: ) but the more I think about it the more it's in a kind of no mans land (as class go's anyway) I think it's still got drum brakes!! never seem a Gollner bike so can't comment on that.

Any of the Honda fans on here got there eye on the new Montesa/Honda Four stroke yet?