M159 Bing 84 Carb Problems

sunny

I am having trouble starting my bike after taking it from a few boxes of parts to something that resemblies a Bultaco. I think I have kicked it over 1000+times praying each time but no luck.

Here are some of the things I have tried and their results.

FYI. It did start right away after I got it all together and it ran for 1 minute before it ran out of gas. It has new rings

Cleaned all jets (2) with carb cleaner and compressed air - NO START

It was over flowing the bowl and leaking. I made a new gasket and adjusted float -NO START ( But not overflowing or leaking )

I started to think spark issues maybe - I placed the opened up gap on the plug on the head and there was spark

I poured a bit of fuel down the spark plug hole - It STARTED but stopped when the fuel ran out

I guess that I have narrowed it to a fuel problem. When I take the bowl off the fuel pours out and if I press up on the float the fuel stops. My guess is that I have bad float or that there is some problem with the fuel moving from the bowl up.

I would appreciate any suggestions I will take some photos/video

G9inPalmSprings-Nov2009063.jpg

Sunny

Hi,

I have had this problem a few times with the bikes that sit along time or starting after a rebuild. I take the air hose off from the airfilter leaving the back of the carb exposed. Put 2 fingers over the back of the carb so as to restrict airflow but increase vacuum pulling gas through the carby into the engine. You just have to play around to figure out what is too much of a restriction so just move your fingers around. "usually" after you start them this way once they are good to go. Starting this way also helps you diagnose bad crankcase sealing i.e. bad seals. Cant stress enough that these bikes need really good crank case seals.

hope this helps a bit :-)

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I slowed down and changed one thing at a time. It was the float level. It took a few resets of it but it works.

I put the chain on and "rode" it a few feet. The clutch needs to be set up better and chain tensioner is not working well. But I did it and I am very satisfied at the moment.

I took it from literally a few boxes of bits and pieces to something that works.

Thanks for all the advice along the way and now I can concentrate on the details.

Sunny