Villiers Electronic Ignition

bassman

Hi, Can anyone explain the differences between these 3 ignitions please? Which one is most likely to be beneficial in rocky streams?

Dont think theres an answer to that one as it's not just the system but the degree of static advance you set it at to start with which has a major effect on how the power characteristics motor may or may not suit the conditions as different systems have different curves programmed in. More importantly is what kind of power delivery characteristics suit your riding style?

If it's purely rocky stream sections you are concerned with, however they make up only a very small part of a course usually, then you would be better looking at your suspension, riding stance and throttle control. Assuming your ignition is watertight ? incidentaly i know from experience that even if you get water in the PVL system it still works cant vouch for the others.

You mention rocky streams so what is your main concern when riding rocky streams?

I've had very good results with the Nametab unit. Must be getting on for 5 years old now and Ive even had it running with the casing full of water! (but purely by accident...)

Nametab's points ignition kit (which I used before upgrading to electronic) has also proven to be good value with the points wear reduced to practically nothing.

Edited by mickmetcalfe

Thanks OTF. My reason for mentioning rocky streams is that I plan to try to get an entry for the Scottish 2 day in 2011. I therefore want the ignition to be as waterproof as possible. I'd still value your thoughts on the suspension setup, back/Betors and front REH. on my 1964 Sprite. I'm 95kg!

How do you set the advance on each electronic ignition? Is it explained in a manual?

Thanks OTF. My reason for mentioning rocky streams is that I plan to try to get an entry for the Scottish 2 day in 2011. I therefore want the ignition to be as waterproof as possible. I'd still value your thoughts on the suspension setup, back/Betors and front REH. on my 1964 Sprite. I'm 95kg!

How do you set the advance on each electronic ignition? Is it explained in a manual?

Good luck with your entry for the Scottish i rode it a couple of years ago and the PVL in mine performed admirably unlike the rider who finished well down the order :D Not trying to put a damper on anything but i would check that a Sprite will be acceptable to the organisers as i thought they were not available prior to 31st December 1964? They are very very pedantic about that date as many know to their cost.

Dont know about REH forks as along with almost everybody i use Marzocci inners in Norton Roadholder sliders but would have thought they should be ok again assuming they are acceptable to the organisers. Yes they spit their dummy about forks too. Silly when you think they accepot 2009 inners in period outers oh well. Betors on the back will be fine but set them to the lowest preload on 40lbs springs. If they bottom out occaisionally no problem according to a Mr Andrews they should do. Make sure the ignition is siliconed as best you can and also plug up the stupid HT outlet at the front and take the Low tension wire to the coil through a grommet and out through the back plate.

Other than that enjoy. One other tip dont spend too long looking at the sections, just one or two riders at the most, as it's very very easy to go over time limit. Oh yes and be very careful going over the moors as they have some very nasty bogs which have green grass growing on top and the first time you know youve hit one is when you are flying over the bars and i can take 3 or 4 blokes to pull the bike out you wont do it on your own.

All that said it's a great event and i'm so glad i got the chance to do it. Some keep trying and never do get an entry.

Good luck :o

Thanks OTF. The info I have on my Sprite is that it was bought new in 1964. Should be OK??? Apparently the REH forks are OK if they have gaiters! Do you know if modern inners e.g. Marzocci fit in REHs? I always thought that bottoming of shocks was bad and that preload was beneficial for steering, but Mick should know!!!? Do the PVLs come with different flywheel weights and which is best if they do?

Thanks OTF. The info I have on my Sprite is that it was bought new in 1964. Should be OK??? Apparently the REH forks are OK if they have gaiters! Do you know if modern inners e.g. Marzocci fit in REHs? I always thought that bottoming of shocks was bad and that preload was beneficial for steering, but Mick should know!!!? Do the PVLs come with different flywheel weights and which is best if they do?

If you have proof that the Sprite was purchased in 1964 then no problem.

Dont confuse some club regulations with the Scottish they are a law unto themselves. Some clubs like Yorkshire Classic require gaitors or you go in the specials class if my memory serves me well but the Scottish dont require gaitors. If you want to fit them then do so up to you. One other thing i forgot to mention is you can have an Amal Mk1 or a Villiers SU but thats it. Again some clubs Yorks Classic included allow Cubs to have Dellortos fitted but all the rest of the field have to make do with an Amal. Welcome to the wonderful world of Pre65 :D:o

Marzoccis should fit but i would check that the REH sliders are ok. For example two bolt Triumph sliders are ok but four bolt ones are banned in the Scottish. By the way when i say "fit" i mean haveing the sliders machined out and the Marzocci sliders machined down to fit inside. NOT a job for the home workshop. If you take that route, it's well worth it, get it done properly and i mean properly there are a lot out there that talk the talk but cant walk the walk as many on here have found out to their cost and it aint cheap.

Bottoming of the shocks to quote me old mate Mick "means you are using all the suspension travel". I dont mean bottoming out all the time just on bigger drops and steps and more applicable to the rear than the front. Suspension travel = grip and you are gonna need every biy you can get in Scotland. One other thing dont confuse spring rate with preload. Your bike should have approx 1 inch of sag when unloaded as in without you on it.

The PVL doesnt come with a flywheel weight. Some say it doesnt need one some say it does. All down again as i said previously to how you like your power delivery. I fitted a standard Villiers trials ring to mine and it suits me sir.

I hope that has been of some use to you ?

Edited by Old trials fanatic

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks OTF. I now have a lot to think about. Who can I ask about Scottish 2 day eligibility please? My Sprite is currently not registered but was originally a 'B' reg, 1964. Who do I get to confirm the marque and date so that I can register, MOT and insure it?

Edited by howard

Have you considered Electrex for the ignition. They come with weights, a friend of mine has one on his MK2 Sprite and it runs perfectly. The advance curve lets it plonk to virtually nothing, pick up softly and then rev out cleanly as the curve advances. Works well.

As regards Scotland, you have two problems, one being the Sprite, second being REH forks as I don't think either is considered Pre65. Who you contact about it on the committee though, I have no idea. As has been said elsewhere though, you can try and make a bike eligible for that trial which can cost time and money, just for one event which you may not even get in to. There are plenty more trials throughout the year to enjoy where you don't have to be so finicky with the bike's spec and making it how you want it can be achieved a whole lot easier and cheaper.

Forgot to mention - the Vintage Motorcycle club in Burton on Trent can provide dating certificates that are acceptable to DVLA. Give them a try, they have a website.

Edited by Woody

Thanks Woody. What flywheel weight does you friend with the Sprite have on his Electrex ignition, 3.5 or 4.5 kg please? I'd like to talk to him. If it's OK could you please send me a message with his details please.