1969 Dalesman Moto-cross Motorcycle Question

cyrjordan

Dalesman used initially Austrian Puch M125 motors, switching to German built Sachs 6 speed 125 motors around 1971/72, I think.

The bikes themselves were built in Otley, Yorkshire and there was a thread about them on this website not that long ago.

They are rare in that not many were built or used for competition after 1973/74. I think Competition Developments headed by the late Alec Wright bought over the remnants of Dalesman which was founded by Peter Edmondston, father of Fast Eddy (Paul Edmonston).

I believe that there may have been an American financial backer at one time. Bill Brooker left Greeves Motorcycles and worked as Competitions manager at Dalesman for a couple of years too.

Joel Robert had input in the initial development of the moto-cross bike which used a slightly different frame to the trails version.

The front forks of the 1969 bike used UK made REH (Robin E Humphries) forks, yolks, front hub and brake plate, whereas the rear hub is a Puch Cush drive type from the M125S road bike (Sears handled Puch in the USA). The tank was aluminium alloy made in the UK, similar to the Wassell bike built around 1971/72.

The MX bikes' air box was a glassfibre item made to suit the frame dimensions. The frame was manufactured by Jim Lee, who was the one time sponsor of road racer Mick Grant.

Hope this helps!

Big John

Dalesman used initially Austrian Puch M125 motors, switching to German built Sachs 6 speed 125 motors around 1971/72, I think.

The bikes themselves were built in Otley, Yorkshire and there was a thread about them on this website not that long ago.

They are rare in that not many were built or used for competition after 1973/74. I think Competition Developments headed by the late Alec Wright bought over the remnants of Dalesman which was founded by Peter Edmondston, father of Fast Eddy (Paul Edmonston).

I believe that there may have been an American financial backer at one time. Bill Brooker left Greeves Motorcycles and worked as Competitions manager at Dalesman for a couple of years too.

Joel Robert had input in the initial development of the moto-cross bike which used a slightly different frame to the trails version.

The front forks of the 1969 bike used UK made REH (Robin E Humphries) forks, yolks, front hub and brake plate, whereas the rear hub is a Puch Cush drive type from the M125S road bike (Sears handled Puch in the USA). The tank was aluminium alloy made in the UK, similar to the Wassell bike built around 1971/72.

The MX bikes' air box was a glassfibre item made to suit the frame dimensions. The frame was manufactured by Jim Lee, who was the one time sponsor of road racer Mick Grant.

Hope this helps!

Big John

Im sitting here reading your reply BJ amazing

vinnie :o