Something For The Collector

anyoldiron

yes its a 1972 mclaren 120cc they are as rare as hens teeth in there day they were well ahead of there time but only 200 were made so it realy didnt last long i have a couple myself good for classic but not enough power for modern stuff unless you are 9 stone wet through to ride it

Edited by sutty

Very interesting bike - would love to know a bit more about Suzuki '120' trials & offroad history -anybody know a website?

As a teenager I had a stripped down monocoque framed B120 'commuter' that we put Knobblys on & trail rode in the fields round home (or veld as it is known locally). It was a real gutsy little bike & I recall seeing one converted to a full blown motocrosser as well.

Mine didnt have the twin ratio gearbox though - I have seen quite an impressive looking tube framed 'scrambler' version with this 2 ratio motor but dont have much info on it - this was in the early to mid 70's

Ian

Edited by IanPR

Very interesting bike - would love to know a bit more about Suzuki '120' trials & offroad history -anybody know a website?

As a teenager I had a stripped down monocoque framed B120 'commuter' that we put Knobblys on & trail rode in the fields round home (or veld as it is known locally). It was a real gutsy little bike & I recall seeing one converted to a full blown motocrosser as well.

Mine didnt have the twin ratio gearbox though - I have seen quite an impressive looking tube framed 'scrambler' version with this 2 ratio motor but dont have much info on it - this was in the early to mid 70's

Ian

Dont know any websites but a long long time ago when the world was in black and white and i was a sprog playing around on the old tip at Trent Lock Long Eaton i seem to remember one of the "Oakleys", a very well known trials riding family and probably the reason i got into the sport, Thomas had one. Seemed to be very capable i remember, then again i was very young had no idea of what trials were and rode a Greeves Scottish which i bought for

Edited by Old trials fanatic

If I'm not mistaken the bike Martin Lampkin is pictured on is actually a Gaunt Suzuki. He joined Alta when they came on the scene in 1969, and I think they started off with rather neat red fibreglass tank/seat units before moving to the alloy monocoque type shown in the eBay advert.