New Trailer ? $$$

axulsuv

Hi all ;

I'm thinking about getting a new small enclosed trailer for my trials travels ...

I need a consensus of opinions ... Triton or Featherlite ??? I can get a good deal on either, But I want opinions on the lifespan ...

(aka the last trailer I want to buy !)

Thanks ,

Glenn

Hi all ;

I'm thinking about getting a new small enclosed trailer for my trials travels ...

I need a consensus of opinions ... Triton or Featherlite ??? I can get a good deal on either, But I want opinions on the lifespan ...

(aka the last trailer I want to buy !)

Thanks ,

Glenn

I've got a Wells Cargo 6X10 enclosed and bought it about 13+ years ago. It has been trouble free and is still completely watertight.

It's been through many cross-country Trials trips and in places not fit for Jeeps. It costs a little more up front but has a lot of nice

details and is solid as a rock. If something happened to it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Jon

The ali framed trailers seem expensive by comparison. I have seen the featherlite's, they look cool and well built, but the guy I know that runs exclusive cars around the country says the ali wont take the beating. Of course, if you are not running it 100K mi per year, it is no big deal.

He runs a Wells Cargo. For normal folk, probably not an issue if you stay out of salt!

What size are you looking at? :thumbup:

Most trailers come with .030 aluminum skin, I think it's well worth the investment to pay a little more and get .040 or .050 outer skin. I've been told by a few guys that have used aluminum framed trailers for car haulers that aluminum frame is nice but over time it will fatigue at the weld joints just like copie was talking about.

Cope , I'm looking at 8x5's + the V nose section . Wells cargo makes a serious trailer , But weight is most prominent on my list at this point in time... I'm leaning towards a Triton , And mine will never see close to the load capacity of the trailer ... I'm setting it up to tow behind my SX4 crossover (2wd ,5 speed) . Suzuki usa does not list a towing capacity for it here , but in austrailia and europe they do ...! Mine has a 2000lb hitch on it , (not much , but still under the au. advertised max spec .) I've towed my open bike trailer w/3 bikes on it without a issue (except for MAJOR wind resistance @ speed !) So I'm thinking a little V-nosed trailer set up with bikes and gear will only be about 350 lbs. heavier (approx. 1200 lbs) and not suffer the major drag issue . And yes I'll get it built with as low a height as they will , 6ft. I believe. And I'm really tired of shelling out $$$ for hotels , so it will be a event habitat too .

Glenn

Ummmmm,

To be honest, I do not think you will be happy with your outcome.

You will be better off with the 3 bike open trailer and the room with hot showers and a maid!

A lot easier to take through the carwash when you are done as well!

If it were just you, you could survive, but not with the troop!

Add to that, you are still punching a 5x6 hole through the air in the trailer, the aerodynamics will still kill you a lot worse than the open. There is little virtue in the V-nose other than space. The hole in the air that thing punches creates a vacume behind it at hiway speed that will suck you dry!

:thumbup:

Good point , But I will hookup to slightly larger one than I plan to buy , and take it for a jaunt (empty) down the freeway before I splash the cash .

Time will tell ...

Thanks ,

Glenn

Then try to fit a queen size air matress in it to sleep 3! Plus gear!

Even with a V-nose, three bikes in plus gear will be a challenge! :ph34r:

Those are really nice !!! But I took a freinds little featherlite for a tow , and Copey is right , with my Suzuki towing it , it works wonderful up to about 52 mph... Then the airbrakes start to apply ! (harder the faster you try to go !!!) ... So I broke down and ordered a open Triton today with a bifold ramp on back and a few other features ... I'll post some photos when it and my proper hitch get here !!! ( and the triton weighs 250lbs less than my old trailer :rolleyes::wacko: ...! ) Now I'll just get a good tent and gear etc....

Glenn

:thumbup::rolleyes::P Got my Triton AUT53B yesterday , What a thing of Beauty ! By the looks of the welds and construction and hardware ,I'll never need another trailer :) And the folding ramp is even lower than I thought , And Boy is it light for the size and load capacity !

I'll be able to put all our bikes and gear on the trailer and keep the car empty ...

Glenn