Most Suitable Bike For 40+ Newbie: Definitive Answer Required !

fantastic

Worth having a look at a Beta Rev3 200.

100_1084.jpg

My lad had one back in 2004 (he was an adult sized 15 year old) it was very easy to ride and had more than enough power, it was good at finding grip in the mud and didn't suffer the stator problems that my 250 Rev3 did that year.

Edited by Pete_Scorpa3

many thanks for responses so far.... Tony I like your answer as it seems the Sherco 290's are very good value and I would get a later bike than a comparable Beta or Gas Gas.

Maybe asking for a definitive answer was a bit of a stretch but maybe if I ask what bikes were mostly winning in 2001-2004 ? Also, there have always been bikes of every genre that everyone at the time would want if money etc were no object.... what were these in early 2000's ?

I'm thinking that if the UK economy was based on trials bike sales then we would be in far better economic health than we are now....Take note Mr Brown (username OneEyedWobbler). I've lost track of the number of bikes I've watched or bid on or contacted the owner only to find they are sold ! I think that Montesa was one of them ! I had 3 bikes for sale last week and they went within hours and I had dozens of calls and emails each wanting to buy straight away.

So if anyone knows of a post 2002 Rev 3, Sherco, Gas Gas, Montesa etc for under a grand that isn't sold then let me know !

Definitive answer...

Any 200 cc two-stroke. In my opinion, first choice is a 200 Beta Rev3, followed by ???. Chewy has one for himself and his missus and they swear by the 200cc motor (granted, theirs are Evo's).

Why? Simple... plenty of usable power, grips in mud better than bigger engined bikes, light and flickable.

End of story :ph34r:

Any 200 cc two-stroke. In my opinion, first choice is a 200 Beta Rev3, followed by ???. Chewy has one for himself and his missus and they swear by the 200cc motor (granted, theirs are Evo's).

Why? Simple... plenty of usable power, grips in mud better than bigger engined bikes, light and flickable.

What I said.

Don't be fooled into thinking that you need big engines to ride in trials.

The latest 290 Evo and the like are fabulous, but

Try a few bike first if you can before even considering one to find what YOU like, as its like asking what wine should i buy.

Not quite, as all wine tastes like gnats p*** - at least there are some good trials bikes...

As stated in above and previous posts, a 200 is your best bet and that really means a Beta as the best option. It's ridiculous to buy a 290/300 whatever and then try and tune it down, it's a waste of effort, trying to get it to run right with whatever changes you make is trial and error and it is still a big engine after all that. The 200 has the correct power characteristics as standard.

Trials is not all about power until you are on much bigger expert level sections. A 200 will happily pull a 17 stone rider up anything at novice/inter level. A big engine and too much power will just give you a miserable time in the sections.

All excellent advice so thanks everybody.

I have decided to look for a Beta 200 Rev 3 but they are a bit thin on the ground so will probably up my budget to 1200 or so.

And as for the wine, I find that you can't go wrong with Baron Phillipe Rothschild's Mouton Cadet.

Unless anyone else has anything to mention then I'll consider this matter closed.

Thanks again, and special thanks to whoever runs this fantastic site as the speed of responses has been FANTastIC (must change that name).