Evo Rear Plastics Bolts Not To Clever...

pipster

Just picked up a 09 250t Evo and was having a good look round it in the garage last night ...I took the rear plastics off to clean and oil air filter and noticed the right hand middle allen bolt had stripped its threads in the frame...I shall just get local engineer to helicoil the frame but its the one in the tank that looks a bit ****e and would not be so easy to helicoil in the future ...has any come up with a mod to improve these fixings ?

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Ive recently purchased the same bike and have a similar problem!

I would also like to know how the mesh grills on the rear mud guard is supposed to be hled on. As mine has been crudley siliconed on?

There is also duct tape over the vents on the underside, I assume this is to prevnt water ingress to air box?

Any help offered would also be greatly appreciated to me.

Pipster. hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread, sorry!!

Thanks

Install the screws carefully. Leave them all loose until you have fitted all of them into their holes properly. After their all in then tighten them up. I havnt had any troubles with mine yet although the last time i removed them one of them kept trying to cross thread in it;s hole upon reinstallation. I also covered those louver vents with silicone from the backside to prevent water from getting in.

Edited by Liviob

just removed my rear mudgaurd carefully for the first time, bike is new and vent grills are fixed with silicon? , first impression , it looks vunerable for water to get onto air filter, via those air vent grills,any one having problems with that, dosent look as sealed as the rev 3 system, dont like the idea of having to take off mudgaurd to get to filter, those screws were always dodgy on rev 3.

I have been contemplating the same problem.. it's only a question of time before one or other of these threads fails... havn't seriosly lookedat it yet but if it were possible to fit some of those quarter turn fasteners with big flat slotted head (don't know what they're called ) as used in sheet metal cabinets it would be easy to get mudguard on & off and durable ..perhaps there's not enough room but worth a thought http://www.southco.com/class/d8-dzus-panex...eners-7636.html

something like this

Edited by chewy

Hi had my evo for about 10 months and havent had the same problem as you with the mudgurard bolts but had one wiht the two bolts that hold the sub frame on where the air box and exhaust is. I helecoiled mine and they are better than new so you should be ok with the mud guard bolts. I have heard of a couple of people having some problems with the evo frame so keep your eyes pealed.

As for the vents ont the mudguard go to www.saundersextremesprots.com he sells loads of stuff for the evo including stickers to cover the vents hope this helps:)

Pipster. hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread, sorry!!

Not at all ...the more info I can gather the better and the airbox set up is a strange one , if water gets up under the plastics then its going to end up in the airbox ...being new to the modern trials scene is this the norm??? most enduro bikes if water makes it to a well oiled filter it just runs off and drains out of the airbox through a one way valve so its very unlikely to get water past the foam filter ...

Hi Phil, I renewed all the bolts that hold the plastics on with some dome headed allen screws, after carefully cleaning all the threads in the frame up with a tap.

That, and a lot of other jobs, obviously!

Mark

Its well past that Mark needs drilling out and Helicoiling maybe fit a larger bolt...

I have been contemplating the same problem.. it's only a question of time before one or other of these threads fails... havent seriosly lookedat it yet but if it were possible to fit some of those quarter turn fasteners with big flat slotted head

Good idea that would make it a lot easier for servicing...

As for the vents ont the mudguard go to www.saundersextremesprots.com he sells loads of stuff for the evo including stickers to cover the vents hope this helps:)

Thanks for the link ...keep um coming ...seems one thing hasn't changed since I last owned a trials bike ...Gaffer tape to keep the water out of air boxes :rolleyes:

I have an 09 Evo. With the exception of the front bolt I took my fender bolts out and just use wire ties to hold the fender on. This gives the fender a little more flex and helps to prevents cracking. If do bail hard enough to break a wire tie, I simply replace with another tie. I keep about a dozen wire ties, wire tied to my bikes rear brake hose so replacing them is easy. I replace the front bolt with one thats a little longer and use a rubber washer. This helps a bit with the flexibility of the plastics.

As for the vents in the fender. I used aluminum tape, applied to the underneath on the rear vents to keep water out. Theres still plenty of airflow from the fronts. The screen is held in place with glue from a hot glue gun. I had to repair that once last year.

Just found this how to set up your Evo for the SSDT http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index....mp;id=6943...it mentions a airbox mod on page 4 thanks to the inmate who posted it... might be an idea to make it a sticky ...

did this to rev 3 , just put tubeless valve at bottom of box,removed valve insides and put cap on , dropped bike in river only once but really good for getting water out , will look at doing to evo.

I have language problem motofire..what exactly is a wire tie.....or is it exactly what it's called sounds like a sensible solution I geusse nylon cable ties are fine for rearmost two bolts and quite possibly the front two as well.. is this what you're using?

I have language problem motofire..what exactly is a wire tie.....or is it exactly what it's called sounds like a sensible solution I geusse nylon cable ties are fine for rearmost two bolts and quite possibly the front two as well.. is this what you're using?

Sorry about that....With a little work they fit well even with the front bolts.

http://www.buycableties.com/product/35/7_i...50lb_cable_ties