Fork Seals...

andy198712

my fork seals have been leaking for a while on the TXT270.... brought some new ones and went to fit, now my year has a large collar that unscrews and there contained in this......

i can see them but really struggling to remove them? i removed the C clip, now do i just bang them out like wheel bearings? as i've nearly distroyed one seal so far.....

also fitting the new ones?

cheers

oh and how am i ment to get the front pipe off this bike? one bolt is hidden behind the bend, and its too tight to get the allen key in lol do i just cut up an allen key?

never done those forks... is it provided you have undone the damping rod that you kind of slide hammer em out by tugging top & bottom part of forks apart.... regards the exhaust you need one of those ball ended keys ..( I think they are officially called, ball point hex key)they work when angled..good luck

never done those forks... is it provided you have undone the damping rod that you kind of slide hammer em out by tugging top & bottom part of forks apart.... regards the exhaust you need one of those ball ended keys ..( I think they are officially called, ball point hex key)they work when angled..good luck

good luck? lol thats worrying

ahhhh yes i've seen it done like that, but this set of forks has the seal in the removable collar....

think i should remove the top cap and undo that top bit then try slide hammering it out (to best discribe it) ?

i'll ring GG UK tomorro see what they have to say about it all...

Hi, ive done them on my 99' Gasser which are the same. What i do is put the cup that the seals are in upside down on a bench. I then use a pointed chisel that is sligtly 'hooked' on the end. Get the chisel on the edge of the seal and knock it with a hammer til it moves out a bit. Then keep working around the seal until it comes out. Takes a while but does come eventually. Its alot easier on the newer bikes!!!

To put them back in just put the new ones in place and put the old ones on top and hammer them in. To help them go in put a bit of grease around the new seals.

Hi, ive done them on my 99' Gasser which are the same. What i do is put the cup that the seals are in upside down on a bench. I then use a pointed chisel that is sligtly 'hooked' on the end. Get the chisel on the edge of the seal and knock it with a hammer til it moves out a bit. Then keep working around the seal until it comes out. Takes a while but does come eventually. Its alot easier on the newer bikes!!!

To put them back in just put the new ones in place and put the old ones on top and hammer them in. To help them go in put a bit of grease around the new seals.

your a star!

will give it a go :rolleyes:

OK so.

-unscrew the caps/collars

-slide them off the top of the forks

-remove dust seals

-clean out

-remove the metal C clip

-turn upside down and use a drift to remove them like you would a wheel bearing

-clean out

-fit new seals with the spring bit facing the bottom when fitted to the bike

-use the old seal to rest on top and tap the new one home

-replace the C clip

-i lightly greased the clip

-refit dust seal, i greased under mine

-refit to bike and screw on...... jobs a gooden

hope that helps anyone with this one year of forks lol the first one took a while, the second was 5 minutes

cheers for your help guys

• 1 year later...

Hi Andy,

I am just about to tackle the same job, so all very useful info.

Can i check, did you remove each full leg (stantion and fork bottom) from the yokes, or can you remove the fork bottoms with the stantion still in place to change the seals?

Thanks,

Max