Steering Geometry

tgh30

Hey Guy's,

Just got myself a ossa 250 MAR after spending the last 30 years riding currenty bikes (fancied a project). However, I want to trick it up for a more modern riding style (move footrests down a fraction and tighten up the steering geometry.

I'm a good rider and not bothered about class entry will be riding it in what ever trial. Has anybody done it to a MAR any pics you can share.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Hi,

Would be interested to know if you have a Mk I (up to 1973) or the later Mk II Ossa MAR (from 1974). Mick Andrews got the entire bike set up well, the Mk I is a shorter wheelbase with rather quick steering, whereas the later MAR Mk II has a longer wheelbase (added 25 mm on s/arm) over the Mk I. I believe this increase in wheelbase made the bike more stable and mirrored the 250 Bultaco Sherpa T, circa early 1970's for longitudinal stability.

The Mk I Ossa MAR is quite different to any other bike of that period in my experience being nimble for river beds , rocky sections , tricky turns, etc with its quick steering, whereas the Mk II provided more stability being longer and gripped better in mud sections . Dependant on which model you have, you could change the overall angle by changing the length of the rear shocks.

Having owned three Ossa MARs MkI and Mk II, my recommendation would be to build it up and get it running first, ride it, and see what you think of it, they are great bikes, robust and designed by a man who was a top works rider with a great Trials record, including Scottish Six Days wins and also an excellant engineer. For the period in which it was designed (early 1970's) the Ossa MAR was capable of beating them all. Hope this helps Brian H

Brian H :rolleyes:

tgh30 if you want to ride a beautiful old bike, ride it as it came. MARs are truly great to ride with standard steering geometry. Please test ride a good one before you cut the frame on yours.

Lowering the pegs will require removal or relocation of the stand and changes to the rear brake arrangement.

Thanks Guy's,

I agree the Ossa is a lovely bike as it is. However I'm 6ft 3" and have been riding the bike for a couple of months as standard. I want to iron out a few of the niggles I have with it, one of those is getting around tight sections on the steering lock.

I think there are two trains of thought here -

1) Restore her back to original - I understand the thinking but this isn't me.

2) Trick her up - I'm afraid I'm the trick her up kind.

Mick (Andrews) is currently riding a tricked up Ossa 350, it is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen and rides better than most modern bikes. I suppose if anybody is allowed to trick up this iconic bike it's the man himself.

Enjoying the banter, My bike is a TR77

Tgh30

Edited by tgh30

Is your tr77 the black or green frame model? and is it still the original colour?

I'm restoring a couple of green frame models and can't find the correct colour for powder coating, I know ford modena green has been mentioned on here before but not convinced its correct

Any help appreciated :rolleyes:

AMO

Thanks Guy's,

I agree the Ossa is a lovely bike as it is. However I'm 6ft 3" and have been riding the bike for a couple of months as standard. I want to iron out a few of the niggles I have with it, one of those is getting around tight sections on the steering lock.

Mick (Andrews) is one of my oldest friends (he lives about a mile away from me). He is currently riding a tricked up Ossa 350, chrome frame, adjusted steering geometry, Yamaha Carb, lowered footrests, fantic forks, it is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen and rides better than most modern bikes. I suppose if anybody is allowed to trick up this iconic bike it's the man himself.

I would ask him to do the work or at least get his help/advice, however he is in and out of the country like a yoyo and I don't want to wait.

Tgh30

Offer to keep an eye on his place while he's out next time,tell him to leave a key under the mat...then go in and borrow his bike and copy every single mod you can...

Thanks Guy's,

Mick (Andrews) is currently riding a tricked up Ossa 350, it is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen and rides better than most modern bikes. I suppose if anybody is allowed to trick up this iconic bike it's the man himself.

Tgh30

Not to mention the Fantic forks Fantic hubs TY mono carb Steeper head angle and montesa swing arm and theres more B) but youre dead right Mick bike is the dogs danglies and i just want it so bad but he wont let me have it :o Did get me tape measure out when he wasnt looking though ;) The motor is just sooooooo soft :rolleyes: Might just try and build a bit of a replica from all the Ossa bits in the shed if only i could get to them for other projects.

• 2 months later...

Hi Amo, re your correct colour of green enquiry, I restored my TR77 using SEAT Kent Verde green, it's not a million miles away from the original shade but is slightly darker than the shade of green on Gonelli plastic mudguards, hope this helps!

Had one back in the day and thought it a much better bike with 1" longer travel shocks and a bit less preload than you needed with the stock setup. The bike tracked over loose rocks way better than stock and turned like a champ.