How Do You Add A Flywheel Weight 2008 300 Txt Pro

drillman

Hi Guys.

I've got a Gas gas 2008 300 TXT PRO.

Want to add the flywheel weight. Have the part and tools but no instructions.

Please be basic so i can follow. IE. How do you remove the flywheel and refit. Any torque settings or markings to follow.

Cheers

Which flywheel weight have you got? If its the Hebo one that is held on by an allen bolt that replaces the original flywheel bolt then you won't have to remove the flywheel. If you have the other type that has a large hole at the centre then you'll have to remove the flywheel to have the two existing holes tapped out. (The Hebo one suggests tapping out these holes too, but I didn't bother and have had no problems.)

To remove the flywheel you'll need a puller and a strap wrench or other type of holding tool to enable you to undo the centre bolt. If you have an air wrench it'll just gun off no trouble at all and go back on the same way. Sorry I don't know what the correct tighening torque should be.

Finally, you also need the spacer that fits under the mag cover. The extra weight will be a big improvement. I used to stall my 08 every trial before I fitted one.

• 7 months later...

I find it strange this flywheel weight upgrade; when it is such a good upgrade why didn't Gas Gas or Beta... fitted a heavier flywheel in the factory??? There must be some negative points also?

Kurt,

It's not really an "upgrade" but the flywheel kit allows a rider to customize the power delivery of his engine to suit his/her riding style and type of terrain encountered. Other than fitting a spacer to the sidecover and sometimes having to modify the shift lever somewhat, I can't think of any other negatives.

Jon

• 7 years later...

I have been told by a gasgas person, that the flywheel weights knacker the bairings, had anybody had issues like that?

I've got a 300 txt pro 2009, but finding it a handful to ride, tried his txt, granted it's 2018 but was so much smoother. I wonder if I've got to big a bike? In new to the sport only done 2 trials.

A handful in what way/under what conditions? I have a 2008 TXT PRO 300 and have modified my bike as follows in an effort to make it easier for me to ride: Added a flywheel weight, went with a "slow" (black [I think]) throttle tube, using 11/43 gearing. And being a newbie I added a magnetic tether "kill switch" just in case. :thumbup:. I'm very happy with the power delivery.

I've modified my young son's 2008 TXT 280 in a similar way, and have also added a 1mm head gasket "spacer" to reduce the compression in an effort to make it easier for him to spark. His riding hasn't scared his mom too much. :D

Edited by d2w

On 21/10/2010 at 11:33 PM, kurt said:

I find it strange this flywheel weight upgrade; when it is such a good upgrade why didn't Gas Gas or Beta... fitted a heavier flywheel in the factory??? There must be some negative points also?

its not an upgrade at all. If you are finding the pwer too much chop it in and get a 250.

the disadvantage with a weight is that it allows the motor to run on which for a less than expert rider in such a pwerful motor can cause more trouble than you think it does. Exception is possibly in muddy southern trials it can help with traction.

10 hours ago, d2w said:

A handful in what way/under what conditions? I have a 2008 TXT PRO 300 and have modified my bike as follows in an effort to make it easier for me to ride: Added a flywheel weight, went with a "slow" (black [I think]) throttle tube, using 11/43 gearing. And being a newbie I added a magnetic tether "kill switch" just in case. :thumbup:. I'm very happy with the power delivery.

I've modified my young son's 2008 TXT 280 in a similar way, and have also added a 1mm head gasket "spacer" to reduce the compression in an effort to make it easier for him to spark. His riding hasn't scared his mom too much. :D

i did exactly a similar thing except long pipe and white tube then was told by a blunt yorkshireman that trying to make it into a 250 was daft, and to start from that.

black tubes are no help if you need a big handful and if you dont why a 300?

11 hours ago, f1wade said:

I've got a 300 txt pro 2009, but finding it a handful to ride, tried his txt, granted it's 2018 but was so much smoother. I wonder if I've got to big a bike? In new to the sport only done 2 trials.

probably. if you ride in rmc trials you are welcome to try my 250

I've heard the main bearings story many times and still don't agree, it's probably the same gas gas person. I fitted flywheel weights to my 280s. One bike did the ssdt with one fitted and was then ridden every week until the following years ssdt without any main bearing issue.

Only main bearing failure on a gas gas bikes I have experienced were both on bikes I bought second hand so you never really know the history. 

• Thanks 1

If you're interested in understanding, the reason I bought a 300cc over a 250cc was availability; it seems that - in Western Canada at least - the used bike market is dominated by 300cc bikes.

Also, in addition to the suggested mods (of flywheel weight, throttle tube, gearing) one could drop the coin for a new piston/cylinder/head/gaskets and have a 250cc as Nigel suggests; the 250cc engine parts should bolt right on to the existing block.

But then again, there's the saying "There's no replacement for displacement". :P

Edited by d2w