Beta Rev 3 Runs Rubbish When Hot?

blackrandomapple

Hey folks,

Been having problems with my 2002 rev 3 250cc,

For the last 2 weeks my bike has been pinging and knocking and running like crap when it gets hot?

I have rebuild top end- Still no good

De-coked everything- still no good

Swapped carb from my friends bike- still no good

changed all oils and water- still no good

tested stator- still no good.

Has any one had this problem before

The bike runs like a dream for the first 20mins of riding then it all goes pete-tong and is un-rideable

?!?! Puzzled ?!?!

Hi,

Stator could be breaking down with increase in engine temperature. I also have a 2002 Beta Rev 3 250 and my stator problem caused the bike to cut out after about 3/4 of an hour running. It would restart after cooling down. I had it rewound but then it wouldn't rev (problem with high speed trigger) so I bought a new one from Lampkins.

I am very interested in you're problem as mine runs poorely under load. It sounds like it's 4 stroking or pinking and doesn't pull cleanly. I've tried everything and would now like to find someone with a similiar bike to swap things over. I've replaced the stator, coil, HT lead, plug, rebuilt the carb, flywheel, new main bearings, and a new piston. I've tried replacement CDI, stator, and coil just incase one of the new items was faulty. I live in Northamptonshire, Nr Banbury. Anyone got any ideas?

Bad batch of fuel is possible i i normally get mine from Tesco

Try running a tank of Super unleaded through it every half dozen tanks or so and I'd avoid Tesco's, I always get my bike petrol at the local Shell, know what I'm getting that way.

Hi,

Stator could be breaking down with increase in engine temperature. I also have a 2002 Beta Rev 3 250 and my stator problem caused the bike to cut out after about 3/4 of an hour running. It would restart after cooling down. I had it rewound but then it wouldn't rev (problem with high speed trigger) so I bought a new one from Lampkins.

I am very interested in you're problem as mine runs poorely under load. It sounds like it's 4 stroking or pinking and doesn't pull cleanly. I've tried everything and would now like to find someone with a similiar bike to swap things over. I've replaced the stator, coil, HT lead, plug, rebuilt the carb, flywheel, new main bearings, and a new piston. I've tried replacement CDI, stator, and coil just incase one of the new items was faulty. I live in Northamptonshire, Nr Banbury. Anyone got any ideas?

It seems you have the same problem as me, Im lucky in the fact that i got a few mates with trials bike one being exactly the same bike as mine, Its really bugging me now tho. . . I have tried all the obvios like you have and still no joy, My next plan of attack is a new spark plug and some fresh fuel (Not tesco) Even though i have alwas ran it on tesco 99 and it has been fine?!?!? Wierd eh?

Not that weird. I used to run Sunoco Ultra and on occasion the bike would run really terrible for a few weeks. Could never quite figure out why. Finally after it stalled halfway up a rock and deposited me, tender parts first, on a stump I switched to racing fuel and bikes have run faultless and consistant ever since. That was in '89 I think. You would think that premium fuel from a supposed known source would be consistant but that isn't the case.

Edited by Dan Williams