Procedure To Register Trials Bike?

• 7 years later...

hi, hoping you guys can help, looking to register an old 1974 ty250, I have emailed Yamaha customer services and below is what they have sent back,

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding your 1974 model year Yamaha TY250.

Unfortunately, due to the age of the machine we do not hold the date of manufacture. The DVLA normally require the month and year of actual manufacture (as the year of manufacture is not always the same as the model year). We would therefore advise that you speak to the DVLA to see if they would accept a letter without the date of manufacture before you go ahead as all we can provide is the model year. If they are happy to do so then we can produce the dating letter at a charge of £40."

is there another way to get a dating certificate or will the dvla accept only the model year, thought I would ask before I tried to waste my life getting an answer from the dvla.

• 3 months later...

Just to allay any fears that trying to register an old trials bike is difficult it is not provided you follow the procedures. I have just registered a Honda TL125 which I have built up from a frame which was about to be skipped and bits and pieces which I had already or found at auto jumbles. First make sure that your frame has a legible frame number. Mine did plus the vin plate. A letter to Honda with £30 quickly produced a dating letter showing the vehicle to be a 1976. I then built the bike up and when completed I waited until 20th May to register it. Fill out the V55/5 form, attach photos of the completed bike from both sides plus the frame number plus documentary proof of who you are where you live and send off a cheque for £55. I sent off my application so that it landed on the desk of someone at the DVLA on the 20th May so no MOT needed. It also does not need to be insured unless you live in N.I. On the 24th May I received a letter of acknowledgement from the DVLA and informed that the vehicle had to be examined. They gave me a leaflet to contact a local firm firm SGS. SGS were very professional and examined my Honda within 10 days and found everything OK. There is no cost to this service. Today 15th June I received my vehicle registration document. All pretty painless. The vehicle is classed as a historic vehicle. I have checked the vehicle on the DVLA webside and it shows it as "taxed" until 1 June 2019. When I have to renew this free tax I will have to fill out a V112 to claim MOT exemption.

• Like 3

What did you tick on the declaration part of the v555. Mine is also tax and mot exempt but was going to do the mot for first year so they know someone has looked at it, but only send them the registering fee and no tax 

On 6/15/2018 at 3:00 PM, ronwright said:

Just to allay any fears that trying to register an old trials bike is difficult it is not provided you follow the procedures. I have just registered a Honda TL125 which I have built up from a frame which was about to be skipped and bits and pieces which I had already or found at auto jumbles. First make sure that your frame has a legible frame number. Mine did plus the vin plate. A letter to Honda with £30 quickly produced a dating letter showing the vehicle to be a 1976. I then built the bike up and when completed I waited until 20th May to register it. Fill out the V55/5 form, attach photos of the completed bike from both sides plus the frame number plus documentary proof of who you are where you live and send off a cheque for £55. I sent off my application so that it landed on the desk of someone at the DVLA on the 20th May so no MOT needed. It also does not need to be insured unless you live in N.I. On the 24th May I received a letter of acknowledgement from the DVLA and informed that the vehicle had to be examined. They gave me a leaflet to contact a local firm firm SGS. SGS were very professional and examined my Honda within 10 days and found everything OK. There is no cost to this service. Today 15th June I received my vehicle registration document. All pretty painless. The vehicle is classed as a historic vehicle. I have checked the vehicle on the DVLA webside and it shows it as "taxed" until 1 June 2019. When I have to renew this free tax I will have to fill out a V112 to claim MOT exemption.

Can I ask, did you get an 'age-related' number e.g. 'P' reg for 1976, I think? I have a 1974 Bultaco Alpina and need to go through the same procedure but it is nowhere near ready for an MoT yet but it sounds as if I can get the number without an MoT which is great news!

• 2 weeks later...

well I got there in the end, not to painful really, got a dating cert from vintage Japanese motorcycle club, who were very helpful, had no issues in getting nova cert, the only thing I had an issue with was I did not send off the original dating cert and got a rejection due to this, resent it and got a age related v5, 5 days later, did not have to get an mot, pay for insurance or road tax.

• 11 months later...

You can now register for free and get a v5 easily as they are running a voluntary scheme for off road and farm vehicles to help trace if stolen.no need for mot,tax,insurance etc.when you want to use on road just mot and tax online 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, Swifty72 said:

You can now register for free and get a v5 easily as they are running a voluntary scheme for off road and farm vehicles to help trace if stolen.no need for mot,tax,insurance etc.when you want to use on road just mot and tax online 

That's interesting ,only problem ,is that a Q plate will be issued ,just been looking at DVLA website .

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, detective 21 said:

well I got there in the end, not to painful really, got a dating cert from vintage Japanese motorcycle club, who were very helpful, had no issues in getting nova cert, the only thing I had an issue with was I did not send off the original dating cert and got a rejection due to this, resent it and got a age related v5, 5 days later, did not have to get an mot, pay for insurance or road tax.

Could you explain how you went about it , which form you filled please .

On 6/5/2019 at 8:09 PM, Lee halsall said:

That's interesting ,only problem ,is that a Q plate will be issued ,just been looking at DVLA website .

If you have the paperwork from the original importer etc it gets an age related plate 

• 9 months later...

• 1 year later...

Hi. I've just bought my beta Evo with cash off marketplace. The seller has sent me a receipt via messenger. In a world where email receipts are now a thing will prints of this be enough. Or do I need to pay him a visit with a printed Bill of Sale. Or will that not do either. Does it have to be a legit dealers receipt? Tia.