Sherpa 198a Ignition Options?

sherpatony

Having sorted carburation and airfilter out, my bike developed a miss fire at the end of the last session. Sure it's ignition not had chance to have a look (bike's at work will get cover off on Monday) though remember seeing it had a femsa coil. What options are they for upgrading? seen the 'eletrexworld' kits and know other companies sell other versions, what have most of you converted to?. Or should I sort what I've got, check wiring, condenser etc? I use to race two strokes and had lots of trouble till I converted to Motoplat/PVL type, then just set the timing and forgot about it :rotfl:

Also what's the timing setting for my model either in MM or Thous BTD?

Thanks

Tony

I have had no problems with points on all 3 Sherpas I have owned.

A rewound exchange low tension coil,new points,2 condensers 1 in the usual place and 1 under the tank.Keep an eye on the points gap and keep them clean.

Timing set at 2.8mm BTDC with a dial gauge.

I have had no problems with points on all 3 Sherpas I have owned.

A rewound exchange low tension coil,new points,2 condensers 1 in the usual place and 1 under the tank.Keep an eye on the points gap and keep them clean.

Timing set at 2.8mm BTDC with a dial gauge.

Agreed, well sorted and setup original points just works but is also not a fit and forget solution a lot of people seem to want.

2 Condensors is a good idea but I always fitted them both under the tank and left one disconnected as a spare just in case. Easy 2 minute job to swap out a suspect one for the spare. I also never bothered to use the oem condensor in preference to anything else.

Wayne....

Hi

I had no trouble with the points set up.

However with limited time to fettle I was advised to go the Elextex world route and I have to say that it is a superb bit of kit.

Timing starts @10deg then advances to 23deg (3mm BTDC)when running.

The logic is that the bike starts easier @10deg.

You pay you money and take your choice!

Martin

Thanks for the replies

Legs I'll make a note of the engine number Tomorrow, I'll also check the points(been a while since I've played with points), is that 2.8mm BTDC points beginning to open? What's the recommended gap fully open? Also thanks for the condenser tips :rotfl:

Still fancy a new kit though, money may get in the way and the fact I've got several other bikes that like emptying my wallet then there's the kids :rotfl: overall would like my beloved Sherpa to become mega reliable so I can ride whenever and possibly do the odd novice trial :rotfl:

Thanks

Tony

Thanks for the replies

Legs I'll make a note of the engine number Tomorrow, I'll also check the points(been a while since I've played with points), is that 2.8mm BTDC points beginning to open? What's the recommended gap fully open? Also thanks for the condenser tips :rotfl:

Still fancy a new kit though, money may get in the way and the fact I've got several other bikes that like emptying my wallet then there's the kids :rotfl: overall would like my beloved Sherpa to become mega reliable so I can ride whenever and possibly do the odd novice trial :rotfl:

Thanks

Tony

Set the points gap at whats reccomended (look in the manual) think its 16 thou then set timing at anything from 2.5 upwards. You can go to 3.0 and its worth having a play. Although the points need looking after the electronic ones cannot be set how you want it afaik

Set the points gap at whats reccomended (look in the manual) think its 16 thou then set timing at anything from 2.5 upwards. You can go to 3.0 and its worth having a play. Although the points need looking after the electronic ones cannot be set how you want it afaik

ALL sherpas had DIFFERENT timing to each other , no Clymer or haynes manual will help.

Speak to Bultaco UK and tell them your engine no.

The correct timing on Sherpas is critical.

Edited by pedronicman

ALL sherpas had DIFFERENT timing to each other , no Clymer or haynes manual will help.

Speak to Bultaco UK and tell them your engine no.

The correct timing on Sherpas is critical.

Will do, wrote it down and left the bit of paper at work :wall: , I'll call Thurs/Fri :wall:

Thanks

Tony