Too Many Trials In East Midland Centre Today

andat

I have no qualms that people decide where they want to ride but you speak from a minority and ride in your own little bubble. You say that the other clubs dont cater for old bikes, I beg to differ with you. The Sutton Falcons proposal is nothing to do with me but I understand why it was proposed in the first place. Sheffield and Hallamshire end up with the dates we do as some of the clubs get all the good dates before anybody else even gets a look in and that is for other reasons. It would be interesting if 2 or 3 clubs in the centre decide to put in for 10 or 12 dates each next year and then we will see if something got changed. I think you are missing the point slightly that there are too many trials on within a close area and it spoils the entries so that they all get approx 25 riders each whereas if some negotiation took place everybody would benefit and trials got 50+ entries due to them not clashing. This makes things a lot more viable to sustain a future for all the clubs. The problem is that you are quite happy that you have your clubs running for old bikes that haven't been running for that long so you dont care as at the moment you are getting good entries. Some of the clubs in the EMC have been running a long time and need support.It isnt a case of anybody having a god given right for entries, its a case of looking at the future of our sport.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"But to lay the blame on other clubs in the centre who are organising well supported trials is a bit rich."

I think you'll find that the criticism is levelled at the EMC (not individual clubs) for producing a calendar that gave an un-equal distribution of events that potentially clash with each other. Allowing geographically adjacent clubs to run club trials on the same day is not condusive to the promotion of a viable sporting activity within a regional organisation

"That to me suggests that the organisers of those clubs seem to think they and only they have a god given right and riders must come to their events."

I don't think any one has suggested we (S&H) or any club have a god given right to expect riders to come to any of our trials. All clubs would benefit from fuller entries if there were fewer date clashes in the Centre.

"OK why doesnt your club choose to run on a different date or run less trials a year. Same also applies to Sutton Falcons BTW."

Excluding the Peak Trial (Sidecar British Champ Rond in November), we planned to run 8 trials over a 51 available weekends. That's not exactly a prolific number compared with some other clubs in the Centre. I'm sure some one will correct me if I have got this wrong, but I understand that S&H are not alone in not getting the dates they applied for and have had other dates allocated by the Centre after the dates meeting. This goes to the nub of my point. In my opinion, the EMC have a responsibility to ensure that all the clubs in the Centre get a fair crack of the whip and that they avoid allocating dates to clubs whose catchment areas are likely to compete with each other.

Edited by andat

OK lets get some sanity into the arguement.

Yes perhaps i am living in my own little Classical bubble if so fair enough.

Have you made representation to your ACU centre rep clearly stating your views? Dont know wether you have or have not but that would be the first thing to do.

Some clubs who have been around for a long time have long standing traditional dates so best when putting forward dates to avoid those dates if you dont want to suffer low entries due to date clashes.

I dont know what else to suggest other than for some clubs to close and therefore leave those date free as they no longer exist.

I understand your frustration but i cant see any other outcome with the number of clubs in the centre all wanting to put on events. The dates clash because there are the number of clubs there are. So which clubs should close?

Peace and love peace and love.

it seem to me you have a nice problem, too much choice? i bet the guys in the states cant belive this thread!

the point i am struggling with is this, why not have some on a saturday afternoon? or saturday evening trials? The best series i ride is a saturday night event, one of the best attended too. some weekends we could (if i fancied a divorce) ride 3 trials. instead of all starting at 11am on a sunday couldnt you vary the start times/days?

Wow!! What a problem to have. In our state (New Mexico) we have one club, and some have to drive over 250 miles one way to ride, and then only once a month.

Sheffield and Hallamshire used to be affiliated to the Yorkshire centre ACU. We had to get permits to run trials from them. Due to the fact that the majority of our land we use is in the East Midlands centre (EMC) we decided to change affiliation to the EMC to make it easier to get suitable dates for trials. We already comunicated with them to avoid clashes. However this did not help getting dates.

We did attend EMC dates meetings. The calendar is pre populated with established club dates. The list is read through and any clashes are discussed and voted on. The date will be given to the club with a proven historical use of that date. So attendance of the dates meeting became seen as unlikely to help our cause. We still cannot get suitable dates that do not clash with other local clubs. There are only 52 possible Sundays!! Running on other days of the weak is ok in theory but most riders will only ride once a week and so basically a saturday trial still clashes with a sunday trial. Try and find an observer to do 2 trials a week!.

We obviously aim not to clash with any local club as there are a limited number of venues and the main point is the limited number of observers to share between the local clubs.

In a 30 mile radius based on the Peak District of Derbyshire there are in the region of 15 clubs running trials. This is not a problem to a lot of EMC clubs as they are located well away from this hotspot so it is not an EMC problem. It is a Peak district problem.

Yorkshire centre have a better system in that they run a centre championship that takes up a lot of the available sundays in a year. No other trials are allowed are allowed on these dates unless they are only pre 65, beginners etc. They are likely to get a good entry and a good turn out of observers so can then lay out more sections, eg 3 laps of 14. Everybody is happy. It wont work in the EMC as riders will not travel to the flatter areas of the centre.

A peak district group would help where the clubs operating in the area ran a championship with protected dates so we can run bigger trials, lay out more sections and know you will get a reasonable entry.