Otter Vale A & B National

nigel dabster

Why can't minders ride as well ?

I totally agree that minders/parents (one per competing rider) should be able to ride a bike round. I'm sure most wouldnt mind paying an insurance fee. Some venues are huge, which is great as it's nice to ride a bit between sections and it can reduce queuing but it's no joke trying to keep up with your kid riding a venue like Low North Park. My lad has only just turned 8 and rides in the D class. I'm not about to let him out of my sight in any trial. I'm fairly young and fit but find it quite hard going. Then needing to drive home afterwards. What if the parent weighs 20 stone or is less able for whatever reason. That could rule the kid out of riding or put a family off entering???

Talking of the excellent Low North Park, I'm especially surprised that the also excellent Scarborough club do not allow a parent to take their bike round during the less formal youth 2-day event. Getting round the course last year was nothing short of gruelling. My lad was fed up of waiting for me to catch up with a face like a tomato puffing & panting in what was otherwise an awesome weekend!

...here's waiting to be put in my place!

I remember my two lads doing a Richmond C & D National in 2003.

It was a boiling hot day and a Yorkshire sized lap !!!

The start/van/petrol/spares/punchcard swapover was at the top of a massive hill, which, by the fourth lap was of Everest like proportions.

I remember being so knackered, I couldn't drive home, so I called in on my cousin near Hawes and crashed out for the night.

I think my youngest was 3rd but I never made it to the presentation, as I was flaked out in the van!

Happy days.

Remember it well, the start was in the same field as the Scott trial start. Joel Edwards won D class & Josh Spintle won C class. It was a heat wave plus 80 degree,s. Slept in the back of my mates LDV van next to a TY80 with a leaking fuel tap felt like sh8t in the morning, drove 300miles down south after trial and slept in van again just to do a bloody centre championship trial next day, nothing much changes, i,am sure Toni Bou and the other top riders do that sort of thing all the time.

Feedback so far is that it was a fair trial. Muddier than normal but the scores, and the spread of the marks between the riders indicate that the sections allowed for it. As for the lap distance the trick at Otter Vale seems to be to split the two locations between two minders and get the riders to ride together.

Feedback so far is that it was a fair trial. Muddier than normal but the scores, and the spread of the marks between the riders indicate that the sections allowed for it. As for the lap distance the trick at Otter Vale seems to be to split the two locations between two minders and get the riders to ride together.

I decided after the first lap that I would wait at section 8 for the lad to come round again, I couldn't find anyone else to help me....no mates were avaialble that had basic mechanical skills and no one including the wife wanted to get up at 4am that day. Strange that.

Mudder than normal ? You can never have enough mud !!