Otter Vale A & B National

nigel dabster

I thought the reason parents were not allowed to ride round on bikes was to make it a level playing field. Not all parents ride a bike or want the expense of running two bikes.

Fair point. But still, I dont see why the option is not there as some of the venues are huge and some parents are just not able to jog around and make time. Surely allowing a parent to have a bike would keep the trial flowing better especially for the very young riders. Parents of c-class and above riders can maybe skip a couple of the 'easier' sections whereas parents of D-class small wheel bikes generally want to be there every inch of the way to look out for their 6 to 8 yr old!

Does anyone have the actual official word on why minders are not allowed!?

Historically the Youth Nationals have attracted entries close to 100 riders and it would not be feasible to have between 70-100 riders with another 70-100 minders on bikes. Given numbers have fallen it may be logistically possible but then entries would have to be limited in number. That would discourage any rider who only wanted to ride in their local events who MAY then go on to compete regularly.

Secondly Many dads aren't themselves riders. So to make sure nobody gained an advantage it was deemed better that no Minder/Dad have a bike.

Historically the Youth Nationals have attracted entries close to 100 riders and it would not be feasible to have between 70-100 riders with another 70-100 minders on bikes. Given numbers have fallen it may be logistically possible but then entries would have to be limited in number. That would discourage any rider who only wanted to ride in their local events who MAY then go on to compete regularly.

Secondly Many dads aren't themselves riders. So to make sure nobody gained an advantage it was deemed better that no Minder/Dad have a bike.

Would it not be better if there was a traveling Steward (on a bike) at youth events who could be called on from any section to assist in any way to any rider. Otter Vale to whom i am a member did have one, but he was back marker and not steward, well done Keelan Hancock, who is a real nice lad. This could work at C/D rounds, but at the top end of A/B we have come through the system and it,s like a traveling family that meets six or seven times a year and we all look out for each other. So you start the D class at 18 stone and six years latter your son,s a star and you weigh 10 stone and can run like a rabbit, can,t see anything wrong with that.

So you start the D class at 18 stone and six years latter your son,s a star and you weigh 10 stone and can run like a rabbit, can,t see anything wrong with that.

HAHA! Brilliant :thumbup:

Okay Telecat (sorry... dont know your real name!). That sounds like the official word on the matter. In that case, is there a restriction on the size of a lap to cater for dads (& moms) that are less able to get about on foot so that their kids do not suffer!? Kids with a superfit parent will benefit from their presence every step of the way. Club trials are not a problem as the parent on a bike can enter and ride around with their kid (even if they are watching the kid more than trying to keep their own score down!)

HAHA! Brilliant :thumbup:

Okay Telecat (sorry... dont know your real name!). That sounds like the official word on the matter. In that case, is there a restriction on the size of a lap to cater for dads (& moms) that are less able to get about on foot so that their kids do not suffer!? Kids with a superfit parent will benefit from their presence every step of the way. Club trials are not a problem as the parent on a bike can enter and ride around with their kid (even if they are watching the kid more than trying to keep their own score down!)

If a lad can ride the Youth B route even though he's old enough to be Youth A....then surely I can ride Youth A and not be eligable for points....Cos I'm a tad over 17....??? I say watch out for the highest score at the next round !!