Beta Evo Forks

westygas270

Hi all just woundering if theres any one out there to help me.

Purchased a secondhand 2010 evo yesterday and the guy has put thicker fork oil in front forks, just woundering what grade/make people would use as they are to stiff atm for me i am around 11 stone but have read few people would alter forks ??? Any help evo people :barf:

I have new 2010 evo , i weigh 11stone and i find forks very soft, rode last week across moors hit a ditch not very fast and bottomed forks, thought i broke both my wrirsts ,was considering putting heavier fork oil in , used 5 in rev 3 no problem anyone no why different on evo ,

Even if he has 5w in the forks. He may have the oil height set to low or the spring preload set to soft or both. My EVO came from the factory with Belray 5w in the forks. The factory oil height is measured with forks fully compressed 120mm from the top with the spring removed on the spring side and 60mm from the top on the rebound side. This should give you a good starting point. Also be sure to use Belray 5wt as a different brand oil is going to have a different Centistoke and viscosity value even if the bottle says 5wt on the side.

Edited by Liviob

I've got an 09 Evo and am also struggling with the fork settings!

At 11 stone (plus a few pies!) I'm finding the forks a bit stiff through the mid-travel? Ride height is okay with no pre-load and the forks seem to be reasonably progressive at the end-stroke...but do seem to get a bit stiffer in the mid-stroke.....

Wondering about swapping out one of the leg oils to 2.5wt and playing with the pre-load a tad more....

Ticket2ride you might consider lowering the fork oil 3mm in both forks and ride it again. This should soften the midstroke without loosing too much bottoming resistance. Changing to 2.5wt will be a large difference in feel. Also when you adjust the oil level in the rebound leg be sure to either hold the rebound adjuster tube all the wy up or let it down as low as you can while still getting your oil level adjusting tool into the fork. Wherever you decide to leave it it's important to put it in the same place every time you sdjust the oil level because when the tube is dropped into the fork leg it will displace oil and if it's held in a different place from the last oil adjustment you will get a different oil height when you screw on the cap. You can add a little more preload if necessary after lowering the fork oil. Here is a oil centistoke chart i found online shold you need to soften the fork further. http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

Edited by Liviob

I've got an 09 Evo and am also struggling with the fork settings!

At 11 stone (plus a few pies!) I'm finding the forks a bit stiff through the mid-travel? Ride height is okay with no pre-load and the forks seem to be reasonably progressive at the end-stroke...but do seem to get a bit stiffer in the mid-stroke.....

Wondering about swapping out one of the leg oils to 2.5wt and playing with the pre-load a tad more....

Almost sounds like a bent tube or mis-alignment. Loosen the front end and make sure everything is aligned and working smooth before you re-tighten.