Breaking The Bead

thespikeyone

just wondering what you guys use for breaking the bead of the rear tyre??

I have used a bench vice and the corner of a step and jump on the wheel, niether of which are particularly good for the rim.

I came across These which look pretty good, but wouldn't a G-clamp do the same job???? looking for something ultra portable.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought a tyre bead breaker from gguk, best forty quid i've ever spent i think, changing a tyre takes about 10 mins now, including cleaning the rim up as well, good idea to get some proper tyre soap as well if you haven't got any, far less messy than fairly liquid. the breaker is about 15inches long is that portable enough?

i bought a tyre bead breaker from gguk, best forty quid i've ever spent i think, changing a tyre takes about 10 mins now, including cleaning the rim up as well, good idea to get some proper tyre soap as well if you haven't got any, far less messy than fairly liquid. the breaker is about 15inches long is that portable enough?

yeah that looks about right.

gonna see if my brother can make one for me ;):thumbup:

Just put wheel on the ground -preferably somewhere solid - get your heel right into the bead and hop up and down. Change tyres every weekend and never a problem. Don't know if Mont wheels are easier

Just put wheel on the ground -preferably somewhere solid - get your heel right into the bead and hop up and down. Change tyres every weekend and never a problem. Don't know if Mont wheels are easier

what tyres do you use????

I run dunlops which are a pig to get off the bead, you could hop like zebidee al day and it still wouldn't shift.

I have a length of Square section tube with a piece of angle bolted on close to the end. On the end I have a tow hitch. Put the hitch on the towbar, place angle on edge of tyre, lean on the other end of the bar, job done Simples!

I have a length of Square section tube with a piece of angle bolted on close to the end. On the end I have a tow hitch. Put the hitch on the towbar, place angle on edge of tyre, lean on the other end of the bar, job done Simples!

hope you're not using that shiny new landrover discovery for changing tyres gary!

i use my hi-lift/ farm jack....... i place the base of the jack on the tyre then start to jack up my landrover, the tyre pops straight off

As I can see the Hi-Lift jack factory from the front porch of my house I wholeheartedly endorse this method! Plus they are very nice people :thumbup: