Sherco 2010 Horror Stories

godzilla

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they putting a 250 in the scorpa? i was under the impression that they where 280's? If this is the case i cant see them selling that meny.

ST250's are very rare up north if about at all, there are quite a few used ST290's for sale already.

Are they putting a 250 in the scorpa? i was under the impression that they where 280's? If this is the case i cant see them selling that meny.

ST250's are very rare up north if about at all, there are quite a few used ST290's for sale already.

I could be wrong, yet that was my understanding that the 250 motor would go Scorpa, course one could always change if needed, yet the whole fallacy about needing more than the 250 is a lot of BS for most average riders to begin with. I never see them Mont riders complain about them 4t 's in that range, and if anyone had the balls to even keep up with agood 125 rider they would be doing something! Most are just overbiked! Few can use or need the added power. The rest are just followers that can let the bike work against them, yet have lost it! More power is fun, but does not win at trials necessarily. :P

Been riding trials a few years now and had many brands of bike, every now and then you just get a sweet one that runs smooth and spot on from the get go, my 010 2.9 is one of those sweet motors.

I was telling the US importer just this the other day and he says he has had the same comment from many of the new owners of the first batch of 2010 models.

I don

It was just the right thing to do, it was fully prepped and ready to go. The new owner needed it to get ready for the nationals here in the states and was easier for me to wait.

Ron, I tried to sneak it into my trailer when you were not looking, but I think you and the new owner were on to me........

Neat bike, lots of original thinking went into the frame/components design and with it's proven engine, it should do well.

Jon

Been riding trials a few years now and had many brands of bike, every now and then you just get a sweet one that runs smooth and spot on from the get go, my 010 2.9 is one of those sweet motors.

I was telling the US importer just this the other day and he says he has had the same comment from many of the new owners of the first batch of 2010 models.

I don

every now and then you just get a sweet one that runs smooth and spot on from the get go, my 010 2.9 is one of those sweet motors.

I found the same thing. The only 2010 I got went to a customer too and I jetted it the same as other Sherco's and it just runs better than the older bikes.

By the Way, My customer got it just before a trials so he was planning on riding his old bike, but after just one ride he liked it so much he couldn't go back to the old bike!

I have found the same thing with the way mine ran from new. Spot on and far better than any previous sherco. I've since put a keihin on it which ruined it for a long time...but now i've jetted it properly it runs superbly, although i am considering switching to a vhst to make it more stable. I think where the engine is so sweet, the small changes in temperature and humidity that affect they keihin seem so much more apparent.

As for horror stories, i stripped, greased and reassembled everything with loctite, but everything is always coming undone; rear linkage, disc bolts, all engine mounts, kickstart, rear brake, gearchange, exhaust bolts, tank bolts and airfilter bolts. All sorts. Its general maintenance really but i've never had a bike fall apart this much. I've got a loose bolt noise at the moment that i noticed while practising yesterday which i've gotta fix before i can ride today :)

I've had the barrel brace/cdi mount crack, which was replaced under warranty. The rear wheel leaked through the spoke nipples but that was just bad luck really. And the chain tensioner didnt work at all when i got it. The exhaust guard top thread is mounted poorly and sticks the guard out too far which i've ripped me trousers on :s The bike was one of the first 10 and has a poor tank, the dealer phoned me in fact and asked if my tank had split as it was a common problem. He said that sherco had changed the way they were building them and that i could have a new one in or out of warranty which i thought was good. I dont think the tank has long left as it is very sunken which seems to open the seam up. People have moaned that they dont grip very well, i think quite the opposite, its the first 2 stroke i've ridden that can be compared to a 4rt for grip, in fact i get up more than the 4rt boys which has never been the case. Obviously a good rider can get up anything on any bike but i really have noticed a big difference to previous shercos.

Other things i have heard of but have not happened to me include; fuel pump problems in the cold and air box tops shattering in the cold.

Also the frame coating wears very quickly (quicker than previous blacked framed shercos) but a welcomed bonus is that VERY flexible rear mudguard! ;)

As a side note this bike is ridden lots and hard, so considering it is a competion bike its doing ok. No real horror to speak of even from the early batch.

Finally as mentioned before the price is stupid for what you get. I've put on ti hardrocks, keihin and a ti pipe but for less than

• 2 weeks later...

I had a quick test ride on a friend's 2010 250 at the weekend and it felt very stable, light and with such a soft motor. I've been looking around for a new bike for a while and tested a few, but this one felt just so right I've gone and ordered one. I just hope it's as reliable as my last Sherco, a '99 badged as a Bultaco and bought just after the marque was re-born. My only worry is forgetting to pre-mix the fuel after a couple of years on 4Ts....it won't happen. Collect the new bike on Saturday, first trial a week on Sunday then a run around Scotland (observing) and we'll see how it goes. Feels like Xmas did 30-odd years ago.

Cheers :rotfl: