Gas Gas 2008 Clutch Problems

charlie

Took my hardly used gas gas out yesterday ready for this weekend. The clutch has gone a bit wrong. I have adjusted it right to the limit in order to get it too work, and it now is as though it hits a dead end when pulled in. I think it may need bleeding, but cannot remember how to do this.

Can some kind person explain in lamens terms, how to do it, and what fluid is best?

if you have adjusted the crew on the lever to master cylinder right out this will be your problem. you must have freeplay at least 5mm or the fluid cant return after the clutch stroke, so enevetiably you basicly create a vacum and the fluid cant be pumped along the line to the clutch to operate. in simple terms the fluid needs to be able to get back up and in front of the piston for the next clutch stroke.

Is your Master cylinder cap Green? And has written on it Mineral. If so you can ONLY use Mineral oil. If not Dot 4.

Undo your Adujster right out, This will allow the plunger to let Fluid into the Master cylinder.

Take cap off master, suck out all the fluid.

Get a syringe of appropiate fluid, attach a tube to the syringe that will also fit snuggly onto the Clutch bleed nipple.

Once the syringe is snuggly fitted to bleed nipple, undo nipple.

SLOWLY push fluid through. Fluid should fill the master cylinder. Keep checking it.

If its full or filling. Lock off bleed nipple.

When it's full or nearly full empty the master cylinder again. and repeat steps.

Do it a couple of times to really get new fluid through.

you have now just back bled your clutch system .

As to hitting a "dead end", it sounds like the small clutch basket retaining screw has backed out, this will cause binding and damage if not fitted back into the center of the basket, or removed (along with the washer that it seats onto). We typically remove them with no harm done.

Spencer

I agree it needs bleeding. I was only really commenting on the dead ending in my post. Reverse bleed it as described above its easy. I use a small brake fluid bottle with a short length of small hose forced very tightly in through a hole in the top. This seals very well and give a much larger volume to push the fluid through with. Just fit the hose to the nipple open it and squeeze the bottle until all the bubbles stop flowing or you've pushed through a good volume of fluid. A rag wrapped round the bars beside the master cylinder catches all the over flow. Job done.

I've used the same bottle for years now just filling it with fresh fluid from time to time. I'm told it goes off if you leave it too long. It's always in my tool bag and I fixed someones front brake at a trial only yesterday with it.

Edited by bigfoot