Fantic 300 New Swingarm Bushes Wont Fit

russelld

Hi All, Im in the process of rebuilding my 300 and I purchased a brand new swingarm kit inc spindal, now the copper bushes and bearing fit over spindal when it is out of the bike but as soon as i push them into the swingarm (which is super tight) the spindal will not slide through, it is as if the swingarm holes are alittle distorted or are not running true, although it all looks perfect and is in A1 condition, I have just had the swingarm powder coated aswell. After taking the copper bushes back out of the swingarm ive now found that they will now not slide over the spindal. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what is the solution to my problem???

Cheers Russell

hi russell,

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago with my 240.

when you replace the old bearings with bronze bushes there is far less tolerance, i put the old spindle through one side of the swingarm (with bush in place) as far as the second bush and hit the spindle with a plastic hammer until the allignment was perfect, do it from both sides so you are not just bending one side of the swingarm. you dont have to hit it very hard to get it perfect, you will be suprised how little force is needed!

If the bushes dont fit over the spindle just smooth the inside of them with some fine grade wet and dry.

bingo!

Thanks Bingo.

Its just it seems as if I am butchering the bush and the bearing, as soon as the bearing is in place also the spindal will not slide through freely enough. It just feels wrong when doing it, we had to really almost (too much)force it in and it just felt all wrong, was this the same with you?

cheers Russell

did you buy a spindle and bush kit from e-bay - classic trial? the one with a grease nipple?

it does feel wrong hitting bits of bike with a hammer but i got mine perfectly aligned after a small beating!

such a relief to get sorted out, the bushes will wear in and all will be well so long as you keep it greased.

bingo

Hi Guys,

I bought the new spindal and bush kit from a friend who got it from Bob Wrights. The one I have has 2 bronze bushes and 2 roller bearings, all fitted over the spindal perfectly, but as soon as we tried to put them in the swingarm the spindal would not slide through, and now when they have been removed they no longer slide over the spindal. I wonder should i take them to a engineers to get them pressed in or get 1mm skimmed off the inside of the swingarm? I dont think there is any powder coating inside the hole. Its such a pain. What do you all think???Cheers Russell

Give chris a ring at classictrial or look at his spindle kit on e-bay, or his own website, (google search) no beraings just two bronze bushes and a grease nipple so it will never need changing again. the only moving part is the swingarm!

DON"T alter the swingarm at all, the oil seals will not fit, it will weaken it and only your custom bushes will fit

The kit i fitted to my bike was 55 plus p+p, you will need new seals also. this may be the easiest option.

bingo

Save yourself some grief and take the whole lot along to your nearest engineering shop and ask them to do it for you. When you fit new bushes it is common for the shaft not to fit as some slight deformation of the bush is inevitable when it is pressed in. The engineering shop will be able to run a reamer through the bushes once fitted and the problem will be solved but most importantly, you will have peace of mind.

Save yourself some grief and take the whole lot along to your nearest engineering shop and ask them to do it for you. When you fit new bushes it is common for the shaft not to fit as some slight deformation of the bush is inevitable when it is pressed in. The engineering shop will be able to run a reamer through the bushes once fitted and the problem will be solved but most importantly, you will have peace of mind.

Yes, I experienced this with a BSA C15. I bought new gearbox bushes and none of the shafts would fit. I was told it was normal and that bushes need to be reamed once in situ - or reamed first by someone who knows how much they will compress when fitted to fit the shaft correctly. An engineer friend who has worked on loads of bike engines over the years sorted mine and confirmed it is normal to usually ream bushes to fit, very rarely do they fit straight off.

:) With a little patience and a soft mallet , The Classic Trial bushing/spindle kit DOES NOT need to be reamed if pressed into the swingarm correctly ! Chris went thru the effort with his superb bushing kit to have the bushings made so the installed dimensions are Correct !

Fantic should've done them this way from the start ! 20 + years Later the unserviceable swingarm pivot is IMHO the only major design flaw in the trusty old girls ... :beer: And with fresh seals and a shot of grease once in awhile , classic trials set up should last indefinitely ... IT WORKS !

Glenn